Author Topic: Experimenting with Valençay  (Read 6430 times)

jmason

Re: Experimenting with Valençay
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 10:50:56 AM »
coming along nicely

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 01:04:07 AM »
Beautiful  ;D

Susan

sashap

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 04:16:09 PM »
Houston, we have a problem. Two actually. The cheeses look nice, but! There's a smell that I don't think belongs here. It's some kind of yeast, it smells exactly like freshly prepared dough. The second problem is that the surface is very slippery and moist. I put them out of the fridge to dry a little, it seems that the PC is slowed down (by the yeast maybe?). What should I do? HELP!

sashap

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 04:45:06 PM »
I have a Bleu d'Auvergne developing and it is orange on the surface, I think it has the same problem...

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2015, 05:21:38 AM »
 I have not made this cheese before but I think wet and slippery it should not be at this point in the affinage.

I would leave Them  in the cheese fridge assuming you have one  or set up some system to get them to 55 f  in a cooler or some such thing  you need to get the pc happy again .

Geo is slimy  at first so it might be possible that the geo from the  raw milk is starting to,grow.

I hope some one has a answer based on actually having seen this before.

Good luck.

sashap

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2015, 11:06:47 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I made a Camembert earlier (3.5 weeks ago) with the same cultures and the same Camembert rind as inoculant and the PC&Geo worked as a charm. My guess is that I allowed the humidity to be too high. I didn't measure it because the hygrometer was in another container, but from the heavy condensation I infer that it's 99+%. Now I left the container partially opened to allow air circulation.

What about the yeast problem? What could be the source? I sanitize everything well before I start the cheese making process. Could it be in the fridge? I keep the cheese in closed containers, but in specific cases (like this one) I allow some air to circulate. The fridge is not "dedicated" to the cheese, it's a simple big kitchen fridge and my better half allowed me to invade the top shelf, where the temperature is 10-12 degrees celsius or 50-54F (absolutely perfect for the first stage of the affinage).

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2015, 04:34:29 AM »
are you sure it is a yeast smell and not geo or PC  smell?

Seem unlikely that yeast could get a foot hold with so much PC already going, though I am some what guessing.

If it is yeast it could easily float in or get on through your touching it or even from inside the fridge. Yeast is every where  and on every thing

sashap

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2015, 06:57:36 AM »
I have no idea, my only clue is that it smells like dough. Nothing like camembert or brie, but I could be wrong, maybe they smell like this too on some stages. I hope you are right.

sashap

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2015, 08:35:05 PM »

I think you were right. And I was right about the excessive humidity too. Removed the lid and let the humidity lower a little. Now the surface is steady and we can clearly see geo's work. The smell is gone now and we're in the game again. The round cheese develops nicely, but on the pyramid there are some signs of alien mold. One is PR, I age some blue cheese on the same shelf and I'm not surprised. The other however is unknown to me. Can someone identify it? It's brownish and it's not like other molds I used before. There are also some white fluff isles, but it seems like PC, it's completely white.

sashap

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2015, 06:26:59 AM »
I decided to cut the pyramid. My aim was to have two cheeses and to try them in both fresh and aged forms. The taste is fantastic, though I should have waited for another week. The salt content is absolutely spot on. The brownish mold didn't kill me, so I'd think it's safe.

I wrapped the round one and moved it to 4 degrees celsius for longer and slower aging. I have no idea what to expect from it, but it will be a nice surprise.

Marta

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2015, 09:43:53 AM »
Those are beautiful, Alex.  My only attempt at Valencay ended badly... you give me inspiration to try again.

sashap

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2015, 10:02:29 AM »
Those are beautiful, Alex.  My only attempt at Valencay ended badly... you give me inspiration to try again.
Wow, nice to hear! The cheese is not what I expected, it needs a good white rind on it.
If an absolute beginner like me could do it, anyone can! Keep it going Marta!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 03:26:04 PM by Alex P. »

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2015, 03:14:10 AM »
Hi Alex, I think you have progressed a long way from beginner - a very long way. - Very nice :) - AC4U !  I'd have that on my Cheese board any day !

-- Mal 
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

sashap

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2015, 10:33:29 AM »
Hi Alex, I think you have progressed a long way from beginner - a very long way. - Very nice :) - AC4U !  I'd have that on my Cheese board any day !
-- Mal
Thanks Mal, at every pat on the back I feel the urge to make another cheese :D I'm grateful for your support.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2015, 02:12:57 PM »
AC4U

Very nice I look forward to seeing the aged one .