Author Topic: Pressing and Brining Cheese into Smaller Molds than recipe calls for  (Read 2498 times)

Offline venhausa

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
For the holidays I'd like to make some smaller (sampler) sized barrels of cheese as gifts. Essentially, I'd like to continue to use the recipes from my books and split the curd into multiple molds. So my questions....

Pressing: Do I still press at the same pressure for each of the smaller barrels? For example, a recipes calls for use of an 8-inch mold with 10 lbs of pressure. Do I press 2 smaller barrels together at 20lbs? or still just 10lbs?

Brining: Do I cut the brining time proportionate to the number of barrels? Or do I cut the saturation of the brine? Do I just maintain the suggested brining time?

The barrels would likely be 4 inches or so in diameter, but I'm also contemplating making "button" cheeses, like you see in the Babybel brand. Has anyone ever done this?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 05:08:55 PM by venhausa »

Stinky

Re: Pressing and Brining Cheese into Smaller Molds than recipe calls for
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 06:24:21 PM »
You adjust brine and pressure based on the amount of cheese. If you brine two wheels half the size, each should be brined for half as long, more or less. If making smaller cheese, use the same PSI (pounds per square inch) You'll need less weight to press less cheese.

Offline venhausa

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 08:38:41 PM »
Thanks Stinky!

But.... between the time I originally started this thread and reading your post, I stumbled on a similar question in  Ricky Carrol's FAQs....

3. If I cut the recipe in half, should I use the same pressing weight?

We discourage folks making cheese for aging from using less than two gallons of milk. The reason for this is that the smaller the cheese the higher the ratio of rind to body. This, among other things, tends to allow the cheese to lose moisture too readily.

The simple solution to this is to make a larger cheese and when it approaches its targeted age of ripening, cut it into smaller sections and re-wax the sections you are not using.

If you do plan to go ahead and use the curds from a smaller batch and use the same mold as our recipes call for, you can use the same amount of weight because pressing is more a matter of surface area and that remains unchanged.
4. How do I press my cheese when I have increased the recipe tenfold?

If you are making a larger cheese and keeping the height to width ratio the same (as you should) simply increasing weight proportionately should work. However, many people decide to use a differently shaped mold where the height to width ratio is not kept the same. In this case, the important factor is surface area. Keep the press weight proportionate to the change in surface area. Our recipes are designed for our small mold (2 lb.) with a surface diameter of 4.5.”

What do you think?

Offline venhausa

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 08:49:23 PM »
If making smaller cheese, use the same PSI (pounds per square inch).

And then I read your suggestion again, Stinky.... PSI. PSI. PSI. PSI.. Sorry, it's been a day.... didn't mean to post redundant info from Ricky.

So I just calculate for the surface area of one face? 8 inch mold --> 3.14*4^2= 50.24in^2 as my surface area?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 09:00:21 PM by venhausa »

Stinky

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 11:28:30 PM »
Yep, area of top surface.

Offline venhausa

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 04:25:51 PM »
What about aging times? The same as the original recipe I would assume?

Stinky

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 04:43:01 PM »
Yes. It'll age somewhat faster as a smaller round, but it'll probably be better at the same time as far as aging cycles.