Author Topic: What Makes Pinnconning Cheese Different From Any Other Colby?  (Read 5298 times)

HenryHill

There is a cheese named Pinconning from a town in Michigan of the same name that is excellent. It is classified as a colby, but seems more like cheddar. The sharp is excellent.

It started in Pinconning in 1915 by a Dan Horn, but it is only made by Williams and the Pinconning Cheese Company now, but was made by many cheese companies in the past.

It is described as an open cheese which allows it to age. This is different than Wisconsin Colby. What would this process be, or is this a special culture and how is it done at home?

Does anyone know this cheese and what they do to make it?

https://pinconning.securesites.com/PDFs/pinconning_mnf&hist.pdf

Zinger

Re: What Makes Pinnconning Cheese Different From Any Other Colby?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 01:20:27 AM »
I just had a conversation this past weekend with a man that is a retired chef now working for a specialty cheese importer on this sybject. According to him, the only thing that makes Pinconning, Pinconning is the fact that it is made in Pinconning, Michigan.

HenryHill

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 04:20:26 PM »
It doesn't LOOK open; it looks like any other colby, but the consistency is soft, more like a cheddar. I've seen reference to cultures that promote 'open', but it is due to gas bubbles, and this has no bubble holes. I have considered a mix of cultures, but again, I am not seeing it. I have wondered if it is a temperature process or a cooling step, but other than these things, there is not much else it can be, or nothing at all, as suggested.

Has anybody tried to age a colby past 60 days, and did it sharpen?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 01:45:39 AM »
I haven't but it won't hurt nothing. Go ahead and try just age it like a long term cheddar.

clarevalley

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 07:21:24 AM »
Pinconning cheese is quite different from Colby and Cheddar. I grew up just North of Pinconning so I've had plenty of Pinconning Cheese. I still return to that area and buy Pinconning Cheese. I do not know the process for making P cheese or what culture or cultures that are used. But I plan on trying to replicate the cheese for private use. P cheese has been aged for over 15 years and you'll never age Colby that long. I prefer the Sharp variety and that is aged from 6 months to one year. It has a buttery consistency and it doesn't get real crumbly until it's been aged to around 10 years. I'm finding it difficult finding out anything about Pinconning cheese. But I keep hoping to one day learn.

Offline psmith32

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 07:54:06 PM »
Any luck...Love this cheese

Offline feather

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 8
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 02:18:12 AM »
I made colby back in 2016. Circumstances changed and all the cheese aged for a few years in the cheese cave refrigerator and no one was eating cheese here. (I know, crazy)

Anyways, after 4 years, once we turned off the cheese cave we had to move it to the kitchen fridge and freezer. So it's been aged for 5 years. It is sharper than colby and it is delicious.

I've never tasted pineconning cheese, so I can't compare to what I made. I had heard it was just a colby that was long aged when I read about it.