Author Topic: Chasing the pH on a mixed milk Caerphilly  (Read 993 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Chasing the pH on a mixed milk Caerphilly
« on: October 03, 2015, 05:47:59 PM »
I brought home almost 2.5 gal Jersey and .75 gal goat (La Mancha X Alpine) with perhaps not quite enough chilling ahead of time. Starting pH was a little lower than usual at 6.6, and perhaps I added a bit too much starter with 1/4 t Kazu, and 1/32 LBC. I ripened the milk a bit long (75 mins) as well because of a phone meeting. At any rate I added the rennet at 6.5, and chased it thereafter.... Whilst bringing the curd to target temp of 92 degrees, I tested the pH at 6.35. I removed about 3 qts of whey (down to the level of the curd) to try and slow the acidification, and stirred more vigorously than usual to try and get the right curd texture. Rather than the target 45 to 60 mins of stirring at 92 degrees I got 30 mins and a pH slightly below target of 6.3 for draining, but texture was okay. Cheddaring was also for less time than usual, and I cut the slab into 8 pieces instead of 4 to try and move the moisture out of the curd better. Milling and salting was at slightly below target of 5.6 with texture that was okay. Pressing was fine. Final pH a little low at 5.12 this morning, final weight 3# 9oz.
I hope the cheese will be yummy but we will see in 2 to 3 months. Previous Caerphilly with mixed milk was really good...
Susan

John@PC

Re: Chasing the pH on a mixed milk Caerphilly
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 08:41:00 PM »
Hi Susan.  Looking at your make sheet what is "Hot Dip 160"?  Does that mean taking a dip in your hot tub while the cheese is pressing  8)?

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Re: Chasing the pH on a mixed milk Caerphilly
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 11:07:03 PM »
I put that line on the general caerphilly make sheet to remind me that is an option if the rind is not closed well enough. I have never used that technique, but it is an option for milled curd cheeses!
I like your idea of a hot tub, but 160 would be way too warm for me!!
Susan