Author Topic: Brandy Wash - Wash rind  (Read 3956 times)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Brandy Wash - Wash rind
« on: October 04, 2015, 03:57:42 AM »
The other part of my Dirty Secret - "Buying Cheese - Instead of making it".  Looked into trying to get some marc de Bourgogne to make an Australian version of Époisses de Bourgogne. But ran into a few road blocks 1. Couldn't find the Marc anywhere - and it's insanely expensive to import it. 2. I couldn't access raw milk and also - cultures and other bit aside it was not looking promising.  So, instead of giving up all together I went back and re-read the Jos Vulto cheese make 'Ouleout' in Gianaclis Caldwell's book.  BTW check his site out http://www.vultocreamery.com/.
Reading the recipe I thought I could meld what I know what add cream does to the ripening of soft cheese, what I has experienced of Époisses - It's Smell and Taste and Jos's recipe and this is what I came up with.

8 Liters of beautiful Maleny 4.4% fat milk + 700 mls same species 45% pure cream.
1/4 tsp Calcium Chloride
2 mls of 200 IMCU rennet.
At this part is a bit of a departure from the recipe.
1/16 tsp of MM100
1/32 tsp MA4001
1/32 tsp MOTo92(Thermo culture)
1/32 tsp B.Linens
scant 1/64 of Geotrichum Candidum

Method to follow:

Heat the milk to 32 Deg C
Add the Calcium Chloride diluted in 1/4 Cup of UnChlorinated water.
add the cultures at 32 DegC.
Ripen for two hours. The recipe looks for a pH drop of .13 from the starting pH but at 2 hours I did quite get there - probably need a little more Meso (MM100) but I got down to 6.56 from Starting point of 6.7.
Add 2 mls of 200 IMCU rennet diluted in 1/4 Cup of UnChlorinated water.  Looking for a floc time of 10 minutes with a multiplication facture of 4.  If you don't use the flocculation point as a guide for cutting the curd then 45 minutes will be sufficient. 
Check for a clean break just to be sure.

Jos calls for a long process of cutting the curd. Cut the curd vertically 2 cms (about 3/4 inch) first and let sit for 10 minutes.  Then cut the horizontal cuts as close to the first size 2 cms and let sit for 5 minutes.
Maintaining 32 DegC through out.

Stir gently for 30 minutes.

Now, the first one I made of this type the form was too high and when I cut into it there was still a very firm Center.  This time however I used the same forms 2 of dia 200 mm (8inches) and made a separator so that I could effectively create two cheeses from the same batch at the same time.
Ladle 1/2 the curds - bit of a guess here, but be gentle as the curds are still very soft, put the separator in and ladle the remainder into the form and place the other on top.  This will be the flipping position for the next few hours.  The cheese is not pressed, just let settle under its own weigh like brie or Camemberts are let settle.

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
Re: Brandy Wash - Wash rind
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 04:38:03 AM »
You will need to prepare a 16% brine.  But don't leave these in overnight otherwise the salt will create a very hard outer rind and you will not be able to successful wash the cheese.

The flipping of the cheese while still in the forms.
Let settle for 1 hour and then flip the entire lot for 6 hours whilst staying in the forms.  What we are after is a pH of about 5.3.  Let sit in the forms overnight to consolidate their shapes.

in the morning. Separate the cheeses carefully into the their individual shapes and place them in the brine for 30 minutes. Not too long as we will be washing the cheese initially with a light brine wash.

Pat dry and let air dry until just dry - about 1 day.
Prepare a 3% brine - 1 litre of chlorinated water 4 grams of salt + 1/2 tsp sugar and 1/16 tsp of B.Linens.  Add the B.Linens after you have salted and sugared the water otherwise the B.Linens will die in fresh water alone.

Put the cheese in a container to maintain a 90% RH and 15 DegC for about 1 week - this is to get the G.C. yeasts active on the surface ready for the B.Linens.  It will get a slimy feel to it - but not wet - if that makes sense.

Lower the temp to 10 degC - this stops it over ripening too quickly.
After 1 week wash the cheese with the light brine mix every 2 day for about 5-6 weeks - the cheese will start showing a red colouring. After 6 weeks make a wash with 1/2 brandy and 1/2 3% brine and wash every third day.  The cheese will by now have a very pronounced odour - sharp but not a pooey stink.  Sorry if that sounds gross. Do this for 6 weeks.

for the next 2 weeks wash the cheese every 3rd day with just Brandy and at 10 DegC the cheese should be wrinkly, pungent and very soft.  Ready to eat

Now this is the first time I've made this one and tasting will be in 3 days.  But here is what it looks like now :)

The larger cheese didn't quite ripen the same way and it not a soft as the thinner cheese and I will continue to ripen this one for another two weeks.

-- Mal

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 01:19:06 PM »
Excellent cheese!  Looks very similar to the Epoisses I did.  They smelled terrible but tasted delightful!! I warmed mine before eating much the same as you would a Brie.  AC4U!!!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 01:19:49 AM »
Hi Al,  A cheese for you to as they look amazing... BTW I still cant raise a good red colour in the rind.  I think my initial yeasting state of the ripening was either too cold or not long enough - a bity of both I suspect. Been a while How are you faring ?

-- Mal

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 07:56:11 AM »
Looking good, Mal. I'm interested to hear the final verdict.
Could the lack of colour perhaps be, at least partly, down to the strain of BL used?
- Andrew

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 06:15:36 PM »
Hi Al,  A cheese for you to as they look amazing... BTW I still cant raise a good red colour in the rind.  I think my initial yeasting state of the ripening was either too cold or not long enough - a bity of both I suspect. Been a while How are you faring ?

-- Mal

Been really busy with other things.  Time of year to make hams, bacon, beer, and been working on recipes for my blog.  Hopefully I'll get some time to make cheese again.  I want to do a really big blue and some more bries.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 03:43:25 AM »
Well, the Verdict !!! ....n wonderful.  It has all the hallmarks of a French brandy washed cheese by another name.  My wife dubbed it "Very Stinky" and is hereby banished to garage.  The people at work 9 loved it 1 didn't - I'll take those odds.  My friends at "Fromage  Yard" -  where I started the Époisses journey - pronounced it worthy of "Nearly - Époisses".  I would say that the smell is but it isn't as complex as a real one - That said.... I think I have made a very nice, different and confronting cheese.  It has a deep deep umami meaty flavour it doesn't quite attack the palate as Époisses but gee it's close.. the paste doesn't run when at room temp but I did put a lot of cream in there.  but it did go very soft when left out before out 'Tasty Treats'. So google translate came to my aid and I dub this cheese "Très Près Époisses" - "very nearly Époisses".  I'm very excited about making another - though my lovely extremely patient and wonderful wife will not let this one in the house....

I'll post more pictures of the inside tonight ..

-- Mal

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 03:55:53 AM »
Amazing cheeses, Al. Beautiful rind color. A cheese for such a sterling effort.

I think you've just inspired me for my #100...Brie!   Never done a PC-developed cheese. Can you believe that?

Mal, you're still surprising me too. Love your cheeses. :P  Take a cheese. Sorry its appeal wasn't to your liking. :(

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 05:39:20 AM »
Hi Boofer
Confused with "Sorry its appeal wasn't to your liking." did I leave a word out that changed the context ?  Oh I see it... dopey me  :o  Thanks for the cheese !
"The people at work 9 loved it and one didn't"  - Sorry I should be more succinct.

BTW I love it -can't get enough of it -- having some more tomorrow. 

-- Mal

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 11:16:48 AM »
Congratulations Mal.
When I start to drool at the description of a cheese, that's got to be worth one for the describer. Sounds great!
- Andrew

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 11:57:45 PM »
Here are a couple of photos.  It's nearly 1/2 gone..  The larger one is still ripening.  This is an amazing cheese !!

-- Mal

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 02:25:10 AM »
Yum! Get your cheese here, Mal!

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 05:06:37 AM »
Mate !! - Don't I wish !!  I would love nothing more than to share what I have over a beer and good chat !!

Ok.. going out on a limb here... Could I, if I brought it in hand luggage wrap up some a bring it through Customs in the US ?  The reason I ask this is I will be travelling to St Louis end of next week until 1 Nov.  I'm assuming not but ... I'm just curious  I could vac bag it and bring it with me if I could...

-- Mal

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 12:36:39 AM »
Don't believe you could bring it in but if you google the US Customs website you could find out easy.  Shame St Louis is so far from Washington State.  I would love to have you over for a bit!

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 02:14:16 PM »
Yes you can bring any cheese in for self consumption  as long as it does not have meat in it.

Even raw milk cheeses aged less than 60 days are okay.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/82/~/travelers-bringing-food-into-the-u.s.-for-personal-use