Author Topic: Not a Gouda..  (Read 2315 times)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Not a Gouda..
« on: October 04, 2015, 10:17:32 PM »
From this make in May..

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=14677.0;last_msg=111993

I opened it yesterday and was a little less than happy.  It turned out like a crumbly Cheshire or Lancashire cheese. It's not bad but not a Gouda. after 4 months there was a little whey under the wax and smelt cheesey but didn't cut at all it just crumbled...

What could have gone wrong ??  I've only made gouda once before which worked well and aged about 12 months. But even at 4 months I might have thought it more plyable.  this one literally snaps !.

-- Mal

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

JeffHamm

Re: Not a Gouda..
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 08:02:10 PM »
Hi Mal,

Hmmm, sounds like it over acidified.  I think with gouda, it is very important to track it during the pressing.  It often is ready after 6-8 hours in the press, so get it into the brine to stop the acidification.

At least it is edible, and in the end, that's what matters most.

- Jeff

Stinky

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 12:34:03 AM »
What sort of milk were you using? How long did you take it out before waxing?

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 10:15:11 PM »
Hi ,
I'll have to find the notes but it was definitely un-homogenised.  I'd had have to find the notes about brining times but the outside was definitely dry before I waxed it.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

lovinglife

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 02:51:11 PM »
I have so much to learn!  I thought Gouda being a washed curd cheese didn't acidify as much, which is why if using raw milk you have to be so careful.  I don't have any meters or testers or anything so I am totally clueless about all that, but I can say my first Gouda turned out fantastic, I suppose I just had beginners luck.  I do follow David Ashers book to the letter when making my cheese so maybe that helps and I do use kefir only as a starter culture.  I am so not a cheese expert like you guys on here but I am totally addicted to making it.  So glad I have about 20 gallons of frozen fresh raw goat milk in my freezer for my winter cheese making.  I always thought cheese like brie was yucky!  But now I want to make Camembert and I think it is similar.  So my cheese eating experience will be expanding now that I can make my own and try them all.  Now to find someone who knows what they are supposed to taste like so I know if mine turned out..  LOL

Stinky

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 03:37:31 PM »
I have so much to learn!  I thought Gouda being a washed curd cheese didn't acidify as much, which is why if using raw milk you have to be so careful.  I don't have any meters or testers or anything so I am totally clueless about all that, but I can say my first Gouda turned out fantastic, I suppose I just had beginners luck.  I do follow David Ashers book to the letter when making my cheese so maybe that helps and I do use kefir only as a starter culture.  I am so not a cheese expert like you guys on here but I am totally addicted to making it.  So glad I have about 20 gallons of frozen fresh raw goat milk in my freezer for my winter cheese making.  I always thought cheese like brie was yucky!  But now I want to make Camembert and I think it is similar.  So my cheese eating experience will be expanding now that I can make my own and try them all.  Now to find someone who knows what they are supposed to taste like so I know if mine turned out..  LOL

Just so you know, frozen milk isn't going to give you incredible results for hard cheese, but it's fine for fresh goat cheeses such as chevre.

lovinglife

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 07:39:44 PM »
figures. why is that?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 07:47:37 PM by lovinglife »

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 08:21:39 PM »
Based only High School Science... the Water component freezes inside the Fat Globules and fractures them, so when thawing they don't return to their pre-frozen state.  Therefore more fat then is lost during the cheese making process.  The curds are not as strong so curd fracturing will be higher and the yield will be lower.  That said, frozen Goats milk does thaw better than cows due to it's overall smaller fat globule size.

-- Mal

Stinky

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 10:44:52 PM »
Texture will be off as well. Thanks Mal.

Did you figure out how long it was before you sealed this up?

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 05:19:57 AM »
I actually surprised myself - I thought I didn't post that one but here it is.

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,14677.0.html

Ha.. just noticed my last entry on it...

I have noticed that it is taking its time to Air dry, so I will have to keep a good eye on it

Better notes I feel :)

-- Mal