Author Topic: Should I cut into this one now? First Stinky...  (Read 1642 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Should I cut into this one now? First Stinky...
« on: October 05, 2015, 06:58:40 PM »
Cave maintenance day today included having a look at this one.... About 3 weeks ago I wrapped it in paper and foil and put it in the 48 degree frig. Aside from turning it, I did not open it. It was not pretty upon opening, but looks much better after a vinegar and salt rub down! The skin on my hands is smooth now too!! The images are of before, after, and with my finger pushing down on the edge to try and show how it bulges out with pressure.
So my question is do I go ahead and cut into it now at 7 weeks, or let it dry out a bit from its scrubbing, or wrap it back up??
Here is the link to the make...
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,14912.0.html
Susan

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: Should I cut into this one now? First Stinky...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 01:25:46 AM »
That looks really soft.  How's it in the middle and what does it smell like ?  I don't have much experience in wash rind just (done only 2) yet but I would think it be worth cutting it now as mine have ripened and softened in about the same period.

-- Mal

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 09:24:45 PM »
I ended up letting it dry 2 days, and cut into it today! I am concerned about the rind pH being at 7.5 - seems sort of risky! Anyone else checking pH on their mature cheeses, and know if this is okay? The paste in the center is about 5.2 pH - quite a bit of difference! You can see softening near the rind, but not through to the center. I was hoping for a bit softer... I wonder what to do for further aging? How to wrap, what temp and humidity?
I did not taste the rind, but ate some of the paste. It was really good! Creamy, nice mouth feel, good flavor. Not bad for an experiment!
Susan

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 09:51:07 PM »
I guess you answered your original question yourself then. LOL  Great job Susan!!  AC4U!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 05:09:10 AM »
To age further put the slice back in and re wrap , and age out another week or so

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 03:12:19 PM »
Gregore - thanks, but I ate that slice and really enjoyed it! Since my stomach is fine today, I guess I don't need to be worried about that high pH!
I wrapped the two halves of the cheese back up in paper and put them back in the 48 degree frig. I will keep a close eye on them!
Susan

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 07:10:04 AM »
Just make sure the paper touches the exposed part to keep it from dying out and or cut the cheese so the 2 halves can go back together flush  and stop the drying out .

I would choose the cutting of the cheese to be flush so I could eat some more , but that is just the way I roll.