Author Topic: Mr. Blue the Second  (Read 4893 times)

sashap

Re: Mr. Blue the Second
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2015, 07:52:04 PM »
You may want to try a little larger cheese next time. If it's a Stiltonesque you're going for they come out much better with size.  Stilton's made in England use 24 pounds of curd.  I did an 8 pound one and it came out great. ;)
I wish I could, but I don't have a pan large enough. Stupid reason, I know... But we live in a relatively small apartment and it's already full of stuff. I hope to be able to buy a house sometimes, with enough space for crafting and hobbies, with a cellar and stuff. But in the meantime I use the small 6l pan for my cheeses...

-Alex

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 02:39:57 AM »
Cool! ;)
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 09:28:38 AM »
Alex, you might consider trying a Gorgonzola Picante make -- these cheese is made in two batches over two days. Make your first 6l batch, let it drain and acidify overnight, make your second 6l batch in the morning. When assembled, you have a 12l cheese!
-- Andy

sashap

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 11:05:05 AM »
Alex, you might consider trying a Gorgonzola Picante make -- these cheese is made in two batches over two days. Make your first 6l batch, let it drain and acidify overnight, make your second 6l batch in the morning. When assembled, you have a 12l cheese!
Good point! Thanks for the idea. I have a Italian friend with a wonderful grandmother that makes gorgonzola dolce at home, in a very un-scientific fashion but with absolutely awesome results. I had the pleasure to eat it when I was visiting him and it is the best cheese in the world! I wasn't very informed then and didn't have this obsession with blues, but now I will surely ask him to get the recipe for me.

-Alex

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 02:21:35 PM »
If possible, post the recipe here!
-- Andy

sashap

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2015, 03:31:51 PM »
Hello guys and sorry for missing so long. Unfortunately, we ate the last blue and I didn't take any photo of it. It was wanderful!!! Even better than the first one (the first mr. Blue was fantastic, this one was out of this world!). I was absorbed with our Asian trip and forgot to "document" the evolution of this cheese.

Now I started the third official Mr. Blue. I found everything I needed for a 11l batch, this one is double sized! I'm thrilled to see the results. I found a farm that sells raw organic milk and they have plenty of it (don't know if "organic" is the right word, but the cows eat only clean grass, no pesticides or nitrates). The price is very attractive and the owner is my former neighbour, so I can be sure that I'll have the best quality and freshness. Wish me luck, I hope to see some blue in 1-2 days.

-Alex

MarshmallowBlue

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2015, 05:00:20 PM »
Al, that one you made looks insane. I really dislike blue cheese, but that made me salivate a bit. Also, OP, AC4U for the nice looking cheese and log.