Author Topic: Hi from Auckland  (Read 762 times)

Offline Jules

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 9
    • Cheese History
Hi from Auckland
« on: October 06, 2015, 08:47:50 PM »
Hi all.

I am from Auckland, New Zealand and have only recently discovered cheese making. What started out as a way to cost effectively have fresh mozzarella for pizza has turned into a borderline obsession.

So far I have made colby, farmhouse cheddar, caerphilly and camembert as well as mozzarella and queso fresco. Despite a life time of disliking any cheese with mould growing on it, I am beginning to acquire a taste for them by making myself try them.

My preferred cheese is a crumbly aged cheddar or gouda but I'm also partial to holey swiss cheeses.

My main hurdles are going to be finding space to age all the cheese I would like to make and getting the necessary cultures (there aren't that many places that sell them in nz as far as I can tell).

Jules
I make cheese and videos about the history of cheese.

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
Re: Hi from Auckland
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 11:01:36 PM »
Welcome to the forum Jules.
Cheese making can get to be a bit of an itch but you've obviously done the right thing and had a good scratch. That's a nice starting repertoire that you've got there and you will find the forum will open up a huge range of possibilities to you.
I'm sure that our NZ comrades will be able to put you onto some sources of cultures.
- Andrew

Offline Jules

• Medium Cheese
    • Cheese History
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 09:25:16 PM »
Thanks Andrew. It is really inspiring to see what other cheese enthusiasts get up to. The creativity I see here is amazing.

I am impatiently waiting for the first of the aged/mould ripened cheeses to be ready to eat. The next two weeks will be like an eternity, waiting to see whether I got it right or not.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 05:40:39 PM »
Welcome Jules!!  Looking forward to your makes.  Lots of folks on here to help out.  I think I've used them all. ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Jules

• Medium Cheese
    • Cheese History
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 07:36:20 PM »
Cheers Al.