Author Topic: Cheese Cloth - Types  (Read 13931 times)

Cheese Head

Cheese Cloth - Types
« on: June 07, 2008, 11:27:02 AM »
The first CheeseCloth I bought was unbleached thick/strong cotton with tight weave. Works great for hanging and gravity drip draining whey. Does not work well for lining cheese press molds/hoops as thick and thus when folded over at sides leaves ridges or lines along sides.

The second was also an unbleached cotton but medium tight weave and thinner. Not goot for hanging curds as not strong, but works much better for lining cheese molds.

But the problem with cotton cheesecloths is that when/if they get mouldy, it is very hard to fully clean them as cotton is made up of woven porous fibres. Thus the third cheesecloth I bought for lining cheese moulds is thin, finely woven polyester, which as made from woven mono-filaments, should hopefully be easier to keep hygenic.

Bought all 3 of these at US Walmart chain store off of roll at USD1-1.50/yard or meter.

What are you using and pros and cons?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 12:31:35 AM by Cheese Head »

Cheese Head

Cheese Cloth - Types
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 11:27:44 AM »
2 pictures . . .

DaggerDoggie

Re: Cheese Cloth - Types
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 11:29:22 PM »
I started off using muslin, which was recommended from what I have read.  I had the same problem with it leaving folds in the cheese while in the press.  While I still use it for draining the whey or hanging the curd.  I use regular cheese cloth in the press.  I doesn't leave the folds in the cheese and it's cheep, so I don't bother washing it.

As for the molds on bandaged cheeses, my first ones are just developing.  I was under the impression that you just left them and let them do their work, at least for cheddar.

But I'm new to this, so I don't really know. :-\

Not mine, but maybe someday:  (New England Cheesemaking Supply)

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 12:45:45 AM »
Well the polyester has proven to be easier to clean and as thinner leaves less fold lines up th sides of my pressed cheeses when used in cheese molds. But it is a woven material and un-seamed like cotton but unlike cotton it more easily has long thread runners coming off of it that are a pain. Was a good idea, does not work well.

So I went to Wal-Mart supply store again and found a package of cheesecloth, wow that stuff is thin - gauze like, no wonder DD just throws it away, agree, too difficult to wash and USD4 for 6 square yards / 5 square meters.

Also, off of a bolt-roll, I bought some medium weave Nylon Tulle at USD1 per square yard, similar to the polyester in that monofilament but heat melded together rather than just woven, so it will not run like the polyester or cotton. Like the cotton cheesecloth in the picture, it is very course and thin and thus would be good for lining hoops for cheese pressing but not for hanging curds to gravity drain whey as not strong enough.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 12:47:24 AM by Cheese Head »

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 01:44:08 AM »

That's the exact stuff I bought...Wal Mart is amazing for homogenizing America.  I bought two packages and it makes a lot of cheese, even though I am throwing it away.  I've become fond of it for pressing and bandaging my cheeses.  It has worked well for me, as long as the cheese calls for firm curds.  I still use the muslin for draining and soft cheeses like ricotta.

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 02:12:00 AM »
Yep, wherever you go, there you are, where did you get your muslin from?

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 02:20:12 AM »
Wal Mart...where else? ;D  Bought three yards.

Cheese Head

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 02:50:33 AM »
I got the cheesecloth in the craft section next to the cloth bolts area, where did you get it in your store and do you have a snap to help me identify it or are you talking about bolt type material that I've already bought? My problem is I'm finding that my main cloth that I've boought and use is too thick and tightly woven for efficiently draining whey and hanging curds. Takes whey to long ;D.

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 10:30:42 PM »
I got the cheesecloth in the craft section next to the cloth bolts area, where did you get it in your store and do you have a snap to help me identify it or are you talking about bolt type material that I've already bought? My problem is I'm finding that my main cloth that I've boought and use is too thick and tightly woven for efficiently draining whey and hanging curds. Takes whey to long ;D.

Reading my post, I wasn't very clear.  I got the three yards of muslin at Wal Mart in the cloth bolts area.  Same place I got the cheese cloth...right across the isle.  Muslin does take forever to drain the whey, but it works.  The cheese cloth does not work for that purpose.  But I do like it for pressing.