Author Topic: Hello from West Michgan  (Read 2133 times)

BobnCathy

Hello from West Michgan
« on: May 14, 2009, 07:11:42 PM »
Hello there!  My wife Cathy and I are just getting into cheesemaking.  We're actually making our first batch tonight, a mozerella.  We're pretty excited by it.  This is actually a natural progression for us, as she is a very accomplished home winemaker, and I homebrew beer. 

Bob and Cathy

wharris

Re: Hello from West Michgan
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 07:39:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum Bob and Cathy.

Western Michigan sure is represented here in this forum!

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 08:44:51 PM »
Welcome aboard the forum Bob and Cathy! You'll find a great group of people working here for the betterment of cheese making and enjoyment, and all are willing to offer advice and their experiences. You probably choose wisely in starting with a mozzarella. Any of the soft cheeses would be a great way to get your feet wet, as they are fairly easy to make and offer a a quicker feedback and more instant gratification for your work. Then you can progress to the other cheeses that require more ingredients and gadgets. Good luck and enjoy! :)

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 09:44:43 PM »
Hello Bob & Cathy and welcome to the forum, I saw from your other initial post that you in Wyoming USA.

Have fun (and patience) with your new hobby!

wharris

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 09:48:25 PM »
I assume they mean Wyoming Michigan.  (Close suburb to Grand Rapids..)

I'm there so much on business these days, I almost sound like a local!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 04:02:31 AM »
Welcome aboard Bob and Cathy. I homebrew as well.  Great group here and very helpful. Good luck on the mozzarella.

Zinger

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 01:15:20 AM »
Hi BobnCathy, welcome to the Forum from another West Michigander. You are the third Grand Rapids area cheesemaker currently posting on this forum. If this grows any further, we'll have to have a meeting of area cheesehounds. I vote that we meet at your house since I see that you are also a beer brewer  ;D

Seriuosly, welcome and I look forward to your input.

Zinger

Tea

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 09:19:54 PM »
Good morning Bob and Cathy, and welcome to the forum.  Seems to be a lot of us that homebrew.  How did the moz turn out?

MrsKK

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 01:18:02 PM »
Good morning and welcome to cheesemaking.  It's a huge world out there, with all kinds of fun experiments to try, IMHO.

I also make wine, like your wife.  Don't care for beer enough to brew it.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 06:38:24 PM »
Welcome, a lot of us on here are home wine makers.

BobnCathy

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 01:17:18 AM »
sorry we've been away for a bit.  We've done 6 cheese's so far, all mozzarella's.  we've done some experimenting with whole vs. 2% milk, differing salt additions.  We're enjoying them all.  It's been quite a while since we've had to buy any mozzarella cheese!! 

farmerbz

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 05:51:45 AM »
Hi,  I am new here and just doing my rounds of introductions so "hello". I am from Michigan (28 years ago anyway) Love it.  Now making cheese in Italy.  I am doing a tour of Michigan in November, have any recommendations for me? Any cheese farmers "must" to be seen/done in Michigan?  Looking forward to it.
B