Author Topic: First Buttermilk Blue: Fails and Success  (Read 1727 times)

Offline venhausa

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
First Buttermilk Blue: Fails and Success
« on: October 14, 2015, 06:09:08 PM »
Well... this is going to be a rant and a rave....

First off.... the good. Here is my first blue ever, which I have affectionately dubbed "The Cranky Old Man."

I got so many compliments on this one that I should "enter it in a contest", "oh my, I'll buy some if you start selling," all the good things! So I'll make it again! BUT WHY WOULD I BOTHER MAKING IT AGAIN WHEN THIS THING CAUSED ME SO MUCH MISERY!? Which brings me to the name and where my rant begins....

First off, the recipe: I used Mary Karlin's recipe for the buttermilk blue, as follows:
•   2 quarts pasteurized whole cow’s milk
•   1 quart buttermilk
•   2 cups heavy cream
•   ¼ tsp MM100
•   PR powder
•   ¼ tsp CaCl2 in ¼ cup nonchlorinated water
•   ½ tsp liquid rennet in ¼ cup nonchlorinated water – I used 1 tablet of rennet in water by the given conversions for single strength
•   Kosher salt

Followed it to the T in my version of the book, which later had some corrections about the amount of rennet. More on that later..... Here's where my frustration first started.

Doing my thing... ripening some milk... adding the rennet and stirring.... when all the sudden, the whole pot of milk curdles. Great. So I says to myself, "Self, what do I do? That WAS some perfectly good milk. Let's keep going and just let it coagulate into that nice block of curd I'm imagining." So I let it sit and curd. No good. Too soft. Whatever, I'm going to keep on anyway. I manage to get the "curd" into the mold, do the flipping and dancing and all the things, and finally I have a mass of what was to be a blue which is ready to ripen.

This cheese was all drama in my cheese cave. It innoculated everything, and I got so upset at that and the earlier frustrations of cooking the cheese, so I had a few choice words and decided I'd just age it in my kitchen refrigerator.

Now back to the sort of goodish. It all worked out, strangely enough. Here's what I imagined happened: The cooler temperature and drier environment of a normal fridge created a milder flavor and firmer texture overall. The bloom developed beautifully and quickly, but the kitchen fridge ultimately created a rind that is firm and dry, pungent of delicious blue flavor. Slightly salty, and a little tangy, just fantastic. It's not as veined as a blue should be, I didn't aerate enough during the initial aging, but the flavor is still great and well balanced to eat alone or in a salad. Very happy with this disaster.

So anyway... given all that, I decided to give it another shot with the modified recipe according to Karlin's corrections page, which calls for 1/2 the previous amount of required rennet. Again I had the same problem, but I think worse this time around. I'll post on that one when I think it's ready

So now my questions:
1. What the heck happened when I added the rennet? Did the pH drop too low?
2. Again, what the heck happened the second time? I reduced the amount of rennet!
3. What exactly should a good blue curd look like when it's first cut? I see pictures of soft pillowy curds all the time for blues, and I just can't imagine what kind of "clean break" to look for with those curds.

Martin

Re: First Buttermilk Blue: Fails and Success
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 06:34:12 AM »
I am preparing to make this recipe and have the same amount of rennet, 1/2 teaspoon. So you are saying that I should cut that in 1/2?What edition is that in?

AnnDee

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 02:03:00 PM »
Wow, 1/2 tsp or 1 tablet of rennet is awfully a lot for 2 quarts of milk. I don't know the recipe, I have to check my Mary Karlin's book but I use 1/2 a tablet to coagulate 24 liters of milk (raw milk).

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 04:48:56 PM »
Somehow I missed this post the first time around; glad it got resurrected. I agree with Ann -- this is an awful lot of rennet for <1 gallon total (milk+buttermilk+cream). I use 1/2 tsp for just under 4 gallons.
-- Andy

Martin

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 06:38:41 AM »
She corrects this on her website:
"Buttermilk Blue, pg. 180:
Ingredients:
1/4 teaspoon liquid rennet
2. in an up-and-down motion.
Cover and maintain 90 degrees, allowing the milk to ripen for 30 minutes. Add the calcium chloride
7. Let drain for 5 hours, then remove the mold.
Dry salt the sides of the cheese. Put the cheese."

Here is a link for the corrections for the entire book: http://artisancheesemakingathome.com/pdfs/ACMH-CORRECTIONS.pdf

Duntov

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 03:41:54 PM »
Somehow I missed this post the first time around; glad it got resurrected. I agree with Ann -- this is an awful lot of rennet for <1 gallon total (milk+buttermilk+cream). I use 1/2 tsp for just under 4 gallons.

I also use 1/2 teaspoon for a full four gallons and give it a long rest.