Author Topic: Scary Caerphilly  (Read 2248 times)

WisconsinDan

Scary Caerphilly
« on: October 25, 2015, 04:01:50 AM »
I actually made this back in July and looking back do not think I ever posted it. Since I use open office, freeware that functions similar to Microsoft's stuff, and I do not think most computer's will support the formatting I am just pasting the make below:

Caerphilly 7/2/15

2 gallons whole milk
0.54g MA4000   (90%)
½ tsp CaCl
0.65mL double strength rennet     (85%)
1.9% salt

@  ~ 87F
Added CaCl
Added cultures. (8:43am) Rest 5 minutes. Stir 3 minutes.
Ripen 45 minutes.
Rennet @ 9:40am Goal floc-time of 20-22.5 minutes.
Grrrr..... Lost track of time again!!!! seemed to maybe be flocculating at 15 minutes already!!!
Goal time to cut 40-45 minutes.
Clean break @ 45 minutes.
Cut into 1/2” cubes. (10:31am) Rest 15 minutes.
Stir 15 minutes.
Stir and increase temperature to 92-94F over 15 minutes.
Stir occasionally 15 minutes (11:31am)
Draining whey @ 11:41am
Begin cheddaring 11:50am need to bring curd temp back up
   Flip approximately every 10 minutes
1003 g
Salted 12:45pm 9g ~1%
Put into press 12:55pm 78 lbs.
Flipped@1:25pm 78 lbs.
@ 1:55pm
Dry rubbed 10g salt @ 2:30pm
 Continued pressing @ 78lbs. (2:35pm)
Flipped @ 3pm 150 lbs.
Flipped@ 7:30pm
Flipped @ 9pm
Heavy brine for 45 minutes @ 8:06am

Notes:
Began Heating @ 7:53am by 7:59am T~=124F !!!!

@78 lbs. Rind was practically closed at first flip 30 minutes in; was supposed to not quite be closed at 1.5-2 hours when adding salt.

Even after pressing dressed for many hours @ 150 lbs., pressing naked at this weight overnight left extrusions.

7/28 Lots of green molds on rind, core was very bland and crumbly. Seemed almost flavorless. Very mild smelling core.
8/17 slightly bluish flavor. Still mild but not as bland.
9/6/15 much sharper flavor. Aside from wild blue/green on the rind it only occurred where the trier went into the paste. Very delicious, slightly tangy, taste, somewhat crumbly but not falling apart.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Scary Caerphilly
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 07:09:28 PM »
Sounds like you got a good result!

I too use Open Office (actually, now I use LibreOffice, which is essentially the same thing). As you probably know, it can save in Microsoft Word format ... but for even better compatibility, I always just make a .PDF file, since OO/LO can do that directly.
-- Andy

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 01:45:21 AM »
I've made cheeses like that........   :P

WisconsinDan

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 03:40:50 AM »
Now that I think of it Awake I have done that for resumes and their ilk, not sure why but that simply did not occur to me yesterday.

@Tiarella, I actually purposely let this cheese go just to kind of see what would happen. The paste is still, but not even vinegar could quite remove the taste of the wild molds from the rind. I have actually been cutting the rind off because the paste is still somewhat mild and it would otherwise be overpowered. In the future I decide to let a cheese age in its birthday suit I will be purposefully trying to inoculate it with some tastier flora. I have a tomme that I sprayed an ARN morge and the the linens didn't take hold but I think either the Arthrobacter or the Geo, it is sort of mottled gray and white right now, and while the wild mold you see all over the caerphilly seems to want to grow all over anything else if I don't beat it back it hardly goes near the tomme.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 12:14:39 PM »
Looks like the mold got into the paste too, right?  Or am I confused by the photo?  My aging area is way to moist so I battle major mold attacks.  I found a rice bristle brush I really like to brush it off every few weeks although I also like the surgeon scrub brushes from Lee Valley.  I've let cheeses for for months with blue shag carpets of old and then brushed them off and opened them and I agree that the rind retains that ick mold flavor so I cut it off.

WisconsinDan

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 05:00:26 AM »
It mostly only got into the paste where I used the cheese trier. My cave's humidity is kept at a rather consistent 89-90%RH by a controller I wired to an extension cord I chopped in half. As I understand it that is right in the middle of the desirable humidity range and I still get what I would consider a fair amount of mold. For awhile I was oiling the rinds of a lot of my cheeses, but then I went back to school and got lazy as far as my affinage is concerned. Now I too have been basically just brushing the mold back every so often.

I only wish that I were lucky enough that my wild blues tasted like those in my favorite stilton, but alas, no dice.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 11:57:50 AM »
I hear the wild blues are usually wild yeasts.  sigh.  I thought that level of humidity was quite a bit high for a cave of aged cheeses but I haven't looked that stuff up for a while.  I did have a care for a while with a sweet spot of humidity and no mold issues.  good luck!

Stinky

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 05:47:48 PM »
I hear the wild blues are usually wild yeasts.  sigh.  I thought that level of humidity was quite a bit high for a cave of aged cheeses but I haven't looked that stuff up for a while.  I did have a care for a while with a sweet spot of humidity and no mold issues.  good luck!

I thought the wild blues were just not-as-nice strains of PR.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 06:45:27 PM »

I thought the wild blues were just not-as-nice strains of PR.

We need an expert here.....can't remember where I read that.  I do notice that the wild blue smells like must whereas the PR smells like blue cheese.   ???