Author Topic: First cheese questions  (Read 3221 times)

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: First cheese questions
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2015, 05:15:47 AM »
Too right Stinky

For some reason heat/ cooking cheese always mellows and improves the taste of a wild cheese .

I have had a couple of cheeses that were rather intense but cooking with them really help mellow the flavor .

Wattywatts

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2015, 11:49:53 PM »
Thanks for the help I have vacuumed it now, should have thought to take a picture before but hey.. Here it is packed lol. Just started a Caerphilly too and made ricotta with the whey. Hopefully these will be good also

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2015, 04:23:08 AM »
 Just thought I would mention

If moisture starts to get pulled from the cheese  as it ripens take it out dry it off and rebag it .

Wattywatts

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2015, 09:53:55 AM »
Awsome thanks. Any advice for the Caerphilly? Is it the same treatment? I can't see anything about waxing it etc

Stinky

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2015, 02:22:25 PM »
For the Caerphilly? They're easy, since it's for such a short time. Just stick in a ripening box with the lid cracked, if the cheese starts getting little cracks rub them with lard and increase the humidity by just leaving the lid on loosely, if they're a whole lot of mold attacking your cheese, so it looks like a microflora playground, decrease the humidity. Every day or two, just brush the mold back. In ideal conditions IME mold generally shows up around 5-7 days, and goes strong for maybe a week or two before slowing down. But the great thing with Caerphilly is that it's fast.

You shouldn't need to bother vacuuming because it's always a good idea to wait that 21 days before sealing in any case, but in this case Caerphilly is good at 3 weeks, so you're fine there. If you're worried about any mold or anything, post a picture. Usually, it's not an emergency.

If you get any of:
Pinkish kind of slimy -too high humidity if there's a lot of it, or contamination in the process but that's unlikely at this point.
Florescent yellow stain- too high humidity, generally; it's ugly and makes that bit of rind taste bad but it's not dangerous.
Brown or black stains- too high humidity, only annoying because you can't just brush it off.
Blue mold- just brush it off. Persistant, but not terrible.
A white powdery coating- this is a good mold, geotrichum candidum. Be happy if you get this and not one of the others. There's a lot of it around, so you're probably recognize it pretty soon.
White fluffy mold with dark specks at the tips- mucor, too high humidity, brush off.

These are my local microflora, if I get others it's typically a sign that I've left it at too high of a humidity, but it might be different for you where you are. Still, most of these varieties should show up at some point.

Wattywatts

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2015, 09:07:53 PM »
thank you, very good info, absolutely gutted though as my cheddar was looking lovely with the white powdery mold until i hacked it up :) live and learn

Wattywatts

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2015, 03:54:09 PM »
Yay the Caerphilly turned out great. Really want to try Brie and Stilton now as I absolutely love them, but can't find a kit anywhere in uk

Stinky

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2015, 04:16:08 PM »
Congratulations!  :D +C