Author Topic: Hi from South Central Pennsylvania!  (Read 1676 times)

ShantihGirl

Hi from South Central Pennsylvania!
« on: November 05, 2015, 05:52:57 PM »
I'm a very wet-behind-the-ears cheesemaker - just started this creative art last June. I had stopped in the winemaking store to grab a few things for my husband, and discovered they carried Ricki Carroll's book, a few cultures and rennet. Now he makes wine and I make cheese - so we're a walking, talking happy hour!

I began with a few soft cheeses, but it wasn't too long before I talked the hubby into making me a cheese press so I could try harder types. My favorite is Manchego which I make every week. We gobble it up as fast as I can make it. I use local raw Jersey cow milk from pastured animals and it is wonderful. However, some of the cheeses I make are, well, not so wonderful.  :-[ I keep going back to Manchego, but would love to branch out into some more interesting types of cheeses. I've tried Leicester, Gouda, Stirred-Curd Cheddar, Jack, Pepper Jack, Goat Cheddar and Chevre. My main concern is that many of the cheeses turn out bitter. I need to know why, so will pose the question in another category.

Looking forward to chatting with you all!

SantaNjong

Introduction: on behalf of folks in Cameroon-Micro-Factory
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 02:21:25 AM »
Hello Everyone:
I recently return from home, where folks in my village requested that I help them find information and equipment for milk processing into: skimmed milk, yoghurt, cheese and butter.
They have been trained by heifer project international in raising dairy cows. They produce milk which they sell to a processing factory. They have reached a point where they want to process the milk themselves into skimmed milk, yoghurt, cheese and butter. They produce about 100l every morning, with possibilities of increasing milk production since there are other people waiting to get the 'gift of a cow' from those who already have the cows.
I have no experience in this kind of business. But, they seem to know what they want to do with their milk.
My question to you experienced folks: Are there any machines out there that could produce these lines of products? Used machines? Is there someone out there that I can talk to that will walk me through what they need?
Any help will be much appreciated.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: Hi from South Central Pennsylvania!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 03:15:11 AM »
Shanthgirl

Are you sure it is bitter and not sour ?  Sour would be the cheese becoming too acidic by culturing for too long.

Bitter is much harder to solve , I would suggest searching the forum here

If have included a link to where Linuxboy ( one of our gurus here ) mentions why but it is a little beyond the understanding of most humans .

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php?topic=9355.0

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 03:22:53 AM »
Santanjong

You do not mention where you are from but a assumeing that the use of the word "village " means that it is not in the  USA and or Central Europe .

That leaves me assuming things that may or may not be true.

Could you please give us more info on the situation and the potential market for a cultured type product?

Kern

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 06:43:40 PM »
I began with a few soft cheeses, but it wasn't too long before I talked the hubby into making me a cheese press so I could try harder types. My favorite is Manchego which I make every week. We gobble it up as fast as I can make it. I use local raw Jersey cow milk from pastured animals and it is wonderful. However, some of the cheeses I make are, well, not so wonderful.  :-[ I keep going back to Manchego, but would love to branch out into some more interesting types of cheeses. I've tried Leicester, Gouda, Stirred-Curd Cheddar, Jack, Pepper Jack, Goat Cheddar and Chevre. My main concern is that many of the cheeses turn out bitter. I need to know why, so will pose the question in another category.

You look like a serious cheesemaker.  I suggest that if you don't have one get a pH meter.  Extech makes a nice one for under $100 and I notice that Amazon is giving 20% off on these. (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_9?url=search-alias%3Dindustrial&field-keywords=extech+ph+meter&sprefix=Extech+pH%2Caps%2C243).  Be sure to get some pH 4 & pH 7 buffer solution with this to calibrate your meter.

PH control is a critical element in making good cheese and most recipe based cheesemaking books don't really get into this.  Since Christmas is coming soon you might also toss in a request for Caldwell's Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking.  Her book will help you diagnose your cheesemaking problems.

Welcome to the Forum. 

SantaNjong

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 04:34:33 PM »
Hi Gregore,
I am from Cameroon. The market potential, I think is big, considering that there are other companies that produce these products.
What products would you gurus suggest that they start with. The market for yogurt is big. People back there are beginning to eat pizzas in the cities, meaning that the market for cheese is there. From what I saw in the supermarkets, there is no locally made cheese. All is imported from europe.
There are lots of boarding schools with 000s of students. I think this is a potential market.
Thanks

Santanjong

You do not mention where you are from but a assumeing that the use of the word "village " means that it is not in the  USA and or Central Europe .

That leaves me assuming things that may or may not be true.

Could you please give us more info on the situation and the potential market for a cultured type product?

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 05:49:20 AM »
 Quick turn around product have some huge advantages for small businesses as money is not tied up,for months waiting for product to be ready , but they also usually mean that the product goes bad quicker too. So a business needs to start off slow and build the demand so product is not being wasted and costing the business too much money .

Usually with handmade edibles like bread or cheese  or others like this , it is best to prove out a production model  one that takes 1 to 3 people then when demand picks up to not go out and buy machinery to increase production but to add more people trained to run their own production models  ,  this is a good way to keep costs low , increase jobs  for all and most importantly not to decrease quality of the product that has driven customers to desire the product in the first place.

Kefir might be a better product than yogurt as it does not need cooking thus it lowers costs , but yogurt is an easier sell as more people understand it , at least over here . Yogurt and kefir will also need containers of some kind and they will need to be purchase in some kind of volume to keep costs down .

Fresh mozzarella would be a really good money maker if sold to higher end pizza restaurants bu the making Mozzerella is going to take a little time and some wasted product as the ph is really criticle , if they could find a teacher  then that would save much time and money .

Soft cheese could be done in as little as  6 to 8 weeks but would involve affinage / aging , this involves storage  and all,the cost associated with that . Plus spoilage for cheeses that do not get sold.

As you can see there is no easy answer and each ideas comes with good and bad , some issues can be solved creatively and thus become advantages others can not.  Usually the best way to make money in a business is to  to,spend it in the first place. In other words keep costs low.