Author Topic: Time for Christmas Whites  (Read 1903 times)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Time for Christmas Whites
« on: November 07, 2015, 12:10:34 AM »
Well, it is coming out to that time where ones thoughts turn to - Oh My God it nearly Christmas !! Planning Cheeses for this Years Celebrations are my 12 month (Nearly) Cheddar, my Silky Blue and 'Malemberts'.  After trying several alterations to my Malemberts - I'm reverting back to pre-pH meter days for a couple of reasons.  1. FD's terminal pH takes a long time to reach, why I leave the cheeses over night before salting and B. I think times and Temperatures have proven sufficient to consistently create a nice cheese.
So, back to the basics.
8 litres of Maleny Milk un-homogenised 4.4% fat milk
350 mls 45% pure cream.
1/4 tsp Calcium Chloride diluted in 1/4 cup non-chlorinated water.
1/8 th tsp Flora Danica
1/32 tsp PC and 1/64 GC
3 mls 200 IMCU rennet.

I'll attach the make sheet later.  Discussion topic later ...

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
Re: Time for Christmas Whites
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 10:17:44 PM »
So,  Here are the photos. While there really is nothing new here, the discussion point I would raise here is how 'Clean' is Clean and I wonder if those out there who have read David A's book really are so so worried about the supposed Sterile conditions he believes we all suffer under, I know I don't.  The reasons I opened with this topic is that I feel that there is vast array of information, and from Polarising points of view to make people scared to even try.
Those of you who follow some of my cheese makes have seen my kitchen and this is, compared to some, a bit over the top.  Now, I hardly call this 'Sterile' but it certainly is clean.
I read David's book now twice from cover to cover and while he has so very real concerns on the lack of bio-diversity in Pasteurised milk there is a space in the middle of the 'Big Business', sterile, and sometimes underwhelming cheeses and the 'Raw Only Mantra' that some seems to think is our salvation.  As I read the book and especially on the chapters that deal with White Rind cheeses, I came to the realise that balance can be achieved and more amazingly enough - It is found in the years of pages in this Forum.

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 10:31:10 PM »
There are those of us who have had the freedom of choice removed, under the guise of 'Protection'.  But I see this as an opportunity for 'Education' and this is where the gaps are creeping into even the basics of our busy lives.  Education - we teach people how to drive cars  but seems to be ineffectual in the stemming of the road toll each year.  So, maybe we should all be protected and not allowed to drive !! Same with food of choice.

My point I'm trying to make is depending where you are the canvas we work on is Milk, in its various forms, some good some not so good, but that's what we have to work with.  I see what we have here, in this forum, is a library of varying experience and collectively is spans decades.

The last two images have nothing to do with this cheese but just to show that with simple tools and with guidance from those who offer advice, we can really be proud of what we can achieve. These are my 'My Silky Blue'.

So, as another year draws inexorably to a close I feel we should all stand up and say 'Yeah !! we did this..'

-- Mal

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 06:33:38 AM »
Sweet-looking blue, Mal. But I feel cheated...I can't see the fine detail of that exquisite paste. Would you consider posting higher resolution pic when you're sharing such a beautiful cheese?

Anyway, here's a cheese for what I can see.  :D

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 07:34:15 AM »
...and a cheese from me too. That's an exceptionally fine looking blue.
I've a feeling that it tastes as good as it looks.
- Andrew

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 02:25:49 PM »
Have a cheese for a great looking cheese my friend!  BTW  Went to a restaurant Saturday night where they had "cambozola brie" on the menu as a topping for a hamburger. 
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 11:56:10 PM »
Ah y'all are very kind. Sorry Boofer, it was a quick snap job - I'll set the lighting, surrounds and tripod up for the unveiling of the main event.

-- Mal

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 05:41:59 PM »
Hey Mal!  Do you think this will age my bloomies?  I plan on trying your method but needed somewhere to put them that was 40° F.  This will fit right on top of my cheese cave.  Hoping I can get 6 in there.  Can you wrap them when aging at this temp?  I would like to wrap them in cheese paper and put them in the boxes but don't know if it will work.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos