Author Topic: CaCl to add or not to add  (Read 3385 times)

Delislem

CaCl to add or not to add
« on: November 10, 2015, 04:43:23 PM »
I have found a source for good store bought milk: 3,8%, pasteurized, cream on top, sold by a local dairy and I was wondering if Calcium Chloride is required since the milk is not homogenized. Is it worth trying without it or should I just put some in anyway?

Thanks in advance
Martin

Stinky

Re: CaCl to add or not to add
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 09:12:18 PM »
Try making cheese with it, and add CaCl2 if you don't get a good clean break fast enough.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 01:43:44 AM »
It is pretty cheap insurance.... To my experience it does not do anything adverse. I use it even with raw, fresh milk.
Susan

Stinky

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 02:28:04 AM »
It is pretty cheap insurance.... To my experience it does not do anything adverse. I use it even with raw, fresh milk.

Too much calcium can affect the cheese, so if you're trying to be exact, don't use more than necessary.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 05:08:00 AM »
I know that a lot of folks respect Gianaclis Caldwell, and the books she has written and the knowledge she shares. I have taken 2 courses with her. She says that she always uses calcium chloride with her cheeses, raw milk or store bought milk. Any milk that has been chilled will benefit from calcium added. At the most recent class I took with her she also indicated that calcium should be added at least 20 mins before the rennet if at all possible. It can even be added before the starter bacteria....
Susan

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 07:07:34 AM »
Gianaclis Caldwell ... also indicated that calcium should be added at least 20 mins before the rennet if at all possible. It can even be added before the starter bacteria....
That is interesting. In her book she adds it 5 minutes before renneting. I will try this out next time I make cheese and see if it makes any difference.
- Andrew

Stinky

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 06:11:36 PM »
It's mostly that it can neutralize rennet, so you just want to make sure it's all incorporated before you rennet. I typically do it about five minutes before and haven't experienced many problems.