Author Topic: What ingredients are best for the best-tasting chevre?  (Read 5524 times)

narnia

Re: What ingredients are best for the best-tasting chevre?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2015, 06:11:58 PM »
 by Stinky - Fun fact: one of the microbial rennets is derived from a strain of e.coli.
[/quote]

Ew!!!   :o  I don't understand the logic behind that!!!  Why would anyone want to use a disease-causing bacteria to make food ingredients?

narnia

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2015, 06:12:52 PM »
Yoghurt is generally made with thermophilic cultures rather than mesophilic. As Schnecken Slayer has said, use store-bought yoghurt as your starter -- look for a brand with nothing other than milk and cultures if you can find it. I find the Fage 2% plain yoghurt to be an excellent starter.

I can't do cow dairy, so I think will have to buy a starter culture.

Stinky

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2015, 07:11:45 PM »
by Stinky - Fun fact: one of the microbial rennets is derived from a strain of e.coli.

Ew!!!   :o  I don't understand the logic behind that!!!  Why would anyone want to use a disease-causing bacteria to make food ingredients?
[/quote]

I told you it was a fun fact.  ;)

narnia

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2015, 07:43:09 PM »
NOT a FUN fact!!!!   :o

narnia

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2015, 01:42:01 AM »
What cultures do you have?
You can make Yoghurt and Chevre with a variety of cultures and each will give its own subtle flavour.
I chose to use calf rennet and Florica Danica with pleasing results in my Chevre and used a mix of two commercial yoghurts as starters to maximise the probiotics in my yoghurt.

Currently, I have one packet left of the chevre packets that I bought from New England Cheesemaking.  I want to make yogurt for the beneficial bacteria, so perhaps I need to buy the yogurt culture.

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2015, 01:48:57 AM »
Not all E. coli are disease causing. There are many strains. You have E. coli in your body already and it is actually necessary for good health. It's the bad strains that cause illness, or strains your body is not used to like traveling and getting sick. Microbial coagulant also doesn't actually contain the bacteria that makes it. The microbial rennet is produced by the bacteria and then removed and purified. If you have concerns with genetically modified organisms, you may want to consider how that relates to microbial rennet. The bacteria are modified so that they produce the rennet.

Susan

narnia

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2015, 01:58:21 AM »
Hmmmm.  I see.  Thanks, Susan!

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2015, 08:44:21 AM »
The e-coli that is so dangerous to us is one that did not exist 30 or so years ago but thanks to our need for cheap beef and the industries desire to give it to us they invented feed lots and the original e-Coli mutated to the current deadly strain  O157:H7

narnia

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2015, 04:52:56 PM »
That is awful!!!

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2015, 05:34:13 AM »
Yes it is awful but it is our own  fault .    As a culture we will not learn our lesson until there is nothing left to eat but each other .  :o

narnia

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2015, 03:59:33 PM »
 :'(

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2015, 08:24:35 PM »
Yoghurt is generally made with thermophilic cultures rather than mesophilic. As Schnecken Slayer has said, use store-bought yoghurt as your starter -- look for a brand with nothing other than milk and cultures if you can find it. I find the Fage 2% plain yoghurt to be an excellent starter.

I can't do cow dairy, so I think will have to buy a starter culture.

Narnia, you can purchase dried starter cultures for yogurt from a number of sources (ArtisanGeek, New England Cheese, etc.)
-- Andy

narnia

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2015, 08:35:57 PM »
Yes...precisely my plan!