Author Topic: Nylon cheese bag at artisan geek?  (Read 8610 times)

narnia

Nylon cheese bag at artisan geek?
« on: November 15, 2015, 12:49:50 AM »
Anyone use this?  How do you like it?  It seems to be more sanitary and more convenient than butter muslin or flour sack towels....

http://artisangeek.com/synthetic-elastic-top-draining-bag-cheesecloth-small/

SOSEATTLE

Re: Nylon cheese bag at artisan geek?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 01:39:06 AM »
I use something similar and prefer it to butter muslin.

Susan

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 08:16:21 AM »
Have one and I love it . Put a lovely rind on soft and hard cheese . . Order more than 1 if you are going to make cheese more often than you wash the linens .

narnia

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 04:57:58 PM »
Have one and I love it . Put a lovely rind on soft and hard cheese . . Order more than 1 if you are going to make cheese more often than you wash the linens .

Great idea!  How do you wash yours?

Is it soft and pliable, or is it stiff?  I used a nylon nut milk bag that I had ordered from Amazon and I found it to be pretty stiff and not well suited for cheese making.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 05:58:40 PM »
That's just a paint strainer bag. You can buy them at any hardware or paint store.

narnia

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 09:26:23 PM »
Really??!! :o  Exact same product??!  That would not be food grade, would it?

narnia

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 09:34:08 PM »

Since you own one....is it the same thing as a paint strainer bag??

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 04:53:19 AM »
Never seen a paint straining bag , so I can not answer this . But I  think that I would prefer to pay more for the food grade one .

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • It aint easy being cheesy
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 06:05:07 AM »
Never seen a paint straining bag , so I can not answer this . But I  think that I would prefer to pay more for the food grade one .

Home Depot sells 1 gallon and 5 gallon sizes.  I've been using them for many years in food preparation.  You have nothing to worry about there.  I soak mine in a bucket of oxiclean, but you could probably just toss it into the washing machine. 
- Andrew

narnia

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 03:54:56 PM »

It did not state on Artisan Geek that it was food grade.

narnia

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 03:58:46 PM »

Home Depot sells 1 gallon and 5 gallon sizes.  I've been using them for many years in food preparation.  You have nothing to worry about there.  I soak mine in a bucket of oxiclean, but you could probably just toss it into the washing machine.

Thx!  I checked them out online yesterday, and I saw that they have a drawstring version as well.  Is it stiff or soft?  I had bought a nut milk nylon bag and it was kind of stiff and squared off at the bottom, which did not form the chevre into a rounded ball, but spread out along the bottom and it was not as easy to empty out as my flour sack dishtowel. 

Do you ever boil it?

Wuhanchef

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 02:45:16 AM »
I think I've bought both varieties of all of them that artisan geek sells. I love them. And then my husband put it in the dishwasher. My hatred of specks of food is at an all time high right now.

I'm curious how that bucket if oxyclean works right now- if it could restore my beloved nylon bags that'd be great. If not, artisan geek is going to get another chunk of my paycheck next order.

Wuhanchef

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 02:48:06 AM »
And yes I've boiled these bags. Haven't noticed any change in their structure or anything. Half the time I use it as a cloth, not a bag, and I think I prefer it that way when making my small cheeses.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 05:12:56 AM »
Artisan geek does actually state that it is food grade .

narnia

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 05:26:40 AM »
I did not see it stated on the small size bag page.  Maybe I missed it...