Author Topic: Nylon cheese bag at artisan geek?  (Read 8614 times)

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: Nylon cheese bag at artisan geek?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2015, 05:41:11 AM »
Your right big ones says it is and small one says nothing .

Glad I got the big one

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2015, 03:21:40 PM »
Take a 5 gallon bucket, drill holes in the bottom, and line it with a 5 gallon paint strainer bag. Best curd straining system that you can use. I have drained hundreds of small batches of cheese this way. When done, spray off with COLD water and throw it in your washing machine. Air dry.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2015, 06:27:32 PM »
Sailor, how do you get the 5 gallon bucket to fit in the washing machine?? :o

:)
-- Andy

narnia

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2015, 06:42:49 PM »
Sailor, how do you get the 5 gallon bucket to fit in the washing machine?? :o

:)

Yes..it did kind of sound that way... ;)

narnia

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2015, 06:46:01 PM »
Take a 5 gallon bucket, drill holes in the bottom, and line it with a 5 gallon paint strainer bag. Best curd straining system that you can use. I have drained hundreds of small batches of cheese this way. When done, spray off with COLD water and throw it in your washing machine. Air dry.

5 gallons is HUGE batch for me!  So, you basically turned a 5 gallon bucket into a colander or a large cheese mold?  So, I guess I could just use a colander lined with a cloth to drain the curd and not have to hang these things?  I would love not having to hang, as I don't have anything to hang the bags on.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2015, 08:03:54 PM »
Sailor, how do you get the 5 gallon bucket to fit in the washing machine?? :o :)

Turn it upside down on the agitator. ;)

narnia

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2015, 08:07:13 PM »
Sailor, do u boil the bags prior to first use?  Are yours made of nylon?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2015, 08:08:31 PM »
5 gallons is HUGE batch for me!  So, you basically turned a 5 gallon bucket into a colander or a large cheese mold?  So, I guess I could just use a colander lined with a cloth to drain the curd and not have to hang these things?  I would love not having to hang, as I don't have anything to hang the bags on.

For small batches use a 1 gallon bag on a 1 gallon bucket. 5 gallons is nice because you can use it for large or small batches. This technique is especially handy when doing a soft or blue cheese.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2015, 08:10:39 PM »
Sailor, do u boil the bags prior to first use?  Are yours made of nylon?

My bags are nylon. Boiling would probably destroy the bag. I soak mine in Starsan. Don't use bleach.

narnia

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2015, 08:21:16 PM »
Yes...the maker of my nylon bag said I could not boil it.

narnia

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2015, 08:39:26 PM »
Sailor...I just read the description on the bag at artisan geek and it was nylon, but that it could be boiled over and over again, so maybe nylon can be boiled.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2015, 02:16:54 PM »
Boiling is overkill and some spore formers can survive. StarSan is a quicker alternative.

narnia

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2015, 05:45:02 PM »
Boiling is overkill and some spore formers can survive. StarSan is a quicker alternative.

I just read a bit about Starsan.  Sounds really good.  However, I read that it can kill the good bacteria in a septic tank.  So, how do you dispose of it?

AND..would you mind telling me the exact steps and methods that you use to sanitize your equipment with Starsan?  Such as...do you pour it into a large stainless steel pot and dunk your equipment into it, etc.  Thx!   :)

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2015, 08:16:18 PM »
Spray. very little waste.

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • It aint easy being cheesy
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2015, 03:48:12 AM »
Yes...the maker of my nylon bag said I could not boil it.

I don't doubt that they told you that, and I wouldn't persuade you to go against their instructions.  But I can assure you that I boil the Home Depot ones every time I use them.  Boiled for 1 hour.  A bag will lasts for 10-20 of these sessions before it ends up with tiny tears, probably due to mechanical fatigue, not dissolving.  I've been doing this for many years.

I have a bunch of black nylon utensils made for nonstick cookware.  It has no problem at boiling temps (though I have melted them in fry pans).  I also have a small nylon boilpot for boiling in the microwave.
- Andrew