Author Topic: Nylon cheese bag at artisan geek?  (Read 8602 times)

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • It aint easy being cheesy
Re: Nylon cheese bag at artisan geek?
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2015, 03:50:50 AM »
I'm curious how that bucket if oxyclean works right now- if it could restore my beloved nylon bags that'd be great. If not, artisan geek is going to get another chunk of my paycheck next order.

Oxyclean doesn't do a very good job at removing dried curds from cheesecloth.  Too bad, it seems to do such a good job on everything else.  I think I tried TSP (trisodium phosphate) unsuccessfully too.  Haven't tried starsan yet.  I don't use my bags for making cheese.  They hold the hops in my beer brewing hobby.  Oxyclean is very effective at removing those sorts of organic material. 
- Andrew

narnia

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2015, 04:51:20 AM »
Yes...the maker of my nylon bag said I could not boil it.

I don't doubt that they told you that, and I wouldn't persuade you to go against their instructions.  But I can assure you that I boil the Home Depot ones every time I use them.  Boiled for 1 hour.  A bag will lasts for 10-20 of these sessions before it ends up with tiny tears, probably due to mechanical fatigue, not dissolving.  I've been doing this for many years.

I have a bunch of black nylon utensils made for nonstick cookware.  It has no problem at boiling temps (though I have melted them in fry pans).  I also have a small nylon boilpot for boiling in the microwave.

Boil for one hour!!  That is a loooong time!!  Is that how long it takes to sanitize nylon fabric?? 

Starsan sounds like a great option!  I can't wait to try it!  I had been concerned about all the humidity that I was putting into the air by boiling my equipment for 20 min+.

narnia

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2015, 05:08:26 AM »

I don't doubt that they told you that, and I wouldn't persuade you to go against their instructions.  But I can assure you that I boil the Home Depot ones every time I use them.  Boiled for 1 hour.  A bag will lasts for 10-20 of these sessions before it ends up with tiny tears, probably due to mechanical fatigue, not dissolving.  I've been doing this for many years.

I have a bunch of black nylon utensils made for nonstick cookware.  It has no problem at boiling temps (though I have melted them in fry pans).  I also have a small nylon boilpot for boiling in the microwave.

Boil for one hour!!  That is a loooong time!!  Is that how long it takes to sanitize nylon fabric?? 

Starsan sounds like a great option!  I can't wait to try it!  I had been concerned about all the humidity that I was putting into the air in our house by boiling my equipment for 20 min+.

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • It aint easy being cheesy
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2015, 06:07:45 AM »

Starsan sounds like a great option!  I can't wait to try it!  I had been concerned about all the humidity that I was putting into the air by boiling my equipment for 20 min+.

Sorry, I wasn't really paying attention to the context here.  The bags that HD sells can be boiled without harming them.  When I brew beer, after the mash, I boil it for an hour in a large kettle.  I have a contraption made with one of these bags that sits on top of the boil pot that holds the hops in the boil (pic below, front kettle, the bag hangs from that white ring into the boiling wort).  In this way, the bag boils for the hour. 

If you want to sanitize a bag by boiling, by the time the water reaches boiling all relevant pathogens are dead.  But for certain, I'd sanitize with starsan. 

- Andrew

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2015, 03:23:26 PM »
Sailor, how do you get the 5 gallon bucket to fit in the washing machine?? :o :)

Turn it upside down on the agitator. ;)

Yes, but I have a front loader, and I don't think the bucket will fit through the door! :)
-- Andy

narnia

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2015, 11:00:25 PM »
Pastpawn, thx for explaining.  However, I can't see your photo.  It's just a very tiny icon on the upper left corner.

Stinky

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2015, 11:13:34 PM »
Pastpawn, thx for explaining.  However, I can't see your photo.  It's just a very tiny icon on the upper left corner.

Is this visible?

narnia

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2015, 11:44:41 PM »
Thx, but, no.  Could it be my computer?

Wuhanchef

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2015, 03:19:33 AM »
Thx, but, no.  Could it be my computer?

I see the photos while on the forums on my iPhone. Can you use any other device to try and see the photos?

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2015, 03:26:12 AM »
I also,see the pics but I think his words mean more that the photos , sound like you can boil them rap out of the Home Depot bags .
 I also,know,my wife loves the sanitize setting on the washing machine were as I use the normal  setting so the artisan geek bags handle sanitize  settings.

narnia

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2015, 05:05:18 AM »
Still could not see it on my Android phone.  Anyway...yes, the words explain it all.

I bought some Home Depot paint strainer bags.  The brand that I saw online was "Trimaco."  I called the company and asked if they were food grade.  She said, "No, but I and a lot of people use them for food all the time and we even sell some to cheese making companies."  However, upon arriving at Home Depot, they no long had "Trimaco," but they had this other brand instead.  The brand is "Workforce."  I took them out of the package and whew!!!  The smell is awful!!  Very strong chemical odor!!  About gave me a headache!!!  I can't imagine using them for any kind of food contact!!  I wonder if the Trimaco was any different....

I think that for the few dollars difference, I would prefer to be on the safe side and buy the food grade.  Gregore, did the bag from Artisan Geek have any kind of odor when you first got it?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 05:15:24 AM by narnia »

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2015, 06:07:30 AM »
I do not remember any Oder per say , but I am not hugely effected by them.  But I would certainly of had seconds thoughts about using it if it had been as bad as you suggest the HD one was.

narnia

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2015, 03:10:58 PM »
Oh yes!  The HD one was sooooo strong that it even left the odor on my hands just from handling them!!  Even my DH jerked away when he smelled them!  :(