Author Topic: Flavoring and coating chevre  (Read 4789 times)

lovinglife

Re: Flavoring and coating chevre
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 07:38:55 PM »
I use 1 TBS per gallon of milk used.  I like to make my cheese at night after work.  Let it sit overnight (if I am making an aged chevre let it sit in the whey and ferment for 2 days), spoon into cheese cloth in the morning and hang until evening so about 12 hours.  Then I stir in the salt, no need to be tender with it now, and let it drain several hours or overnight depending on how dry I want it.  This will have to be trial and error for you to determine how you like your cheese.  This is a great cheese to make and so versatile.  And just plain salted chevre does indeed make a mean cheese cake.

narnia

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 09:26:05 PM »
I use 1 TBS per gallon of milk used. 

That's different!!  all the videos that I have watched say to add 1 tsp.  I will have to try it to see the diff!

I like to make my cheese at night after work.  Let it sit overnight (if I am making an aged chevre let it sit in the whey and ferment for 2 days), spoon into cheese cloth in the morning and hang until evening so about 12 hours.  Then I stir in the salt, no need to be tender with it now, and let it drain several hours or overnight depending on how dry I want it.  This will have to be trial and error for you to determine how you like your cheese.  This is a great cheese to make and so versatile.  And just plain salted chevre does indeed make a mean cheese cake.

Yes!!!!!!   ;D ;D ;D  That is want I want to make next!!!!   ;D ;D ;D
Care to share a recipe??  ;D

Thanks for explaining!

Stinky

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 10:45:33 PM »
One adds more salt when one does it earlier in the draining process as more is lost in the whey. Once it's consolidated that salt will stay there, but if you do it when the curd is still really moist you want to add a larger portion as more will exit as well.

narnia

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 10:57:25 PM »
One adds more salt when one does it earlier in the draining process as more is lost in the whey. Once it's consolidated that salt will stay there, but if you do it when the curd is still really moist you want to add a larger portion as more will exit as well.

Ah...!  Thx for explaining! 

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 02:25:48 AM »
About how much salt do you use per gallon of milk?  What kind of salt?  We have Himalayan salt for all of our cooking and dining so I have been using it.  Is it OK to use?

I'm afraid I don't measure. I have developed a feel for what I like by experimenting. There is no set amount of salt to use, mostly guidelines. I tend to like my chevre a little less salty than some people may prefer. I do sprinkle generously because some of the salt washes out with the draining whey. As far as the type of salt, Himalayan would be fine for fresh cheese. May or may not be OK for aged cheeses depending on the minerals present.

Susan

narnia

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2015, 03:39:02 AM »
Thx, Susan!

lovinglife

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2015, 03:02:42 PM »
I usually just look up a recipe for cheese cake, usually a New York style. Something similar to this.
Ingredients

Crust:

1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 - 2 cups graham cracker crumbs

Filling:

1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 lb chevre
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 eggs
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sour cream (I usually use really thick kefir for sour cream, adds a nice twist)
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Grease sides of a springform pan or use a 9-inch round pan, ungreased.

Crust Directions:

In a large bowl, combine butter and graham cracker crumbs. Press into bottom of pan and freeze.

Filling Directions:

In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar and cream cheese on medium-high speed for 3 minutes.

Blend in cream. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each egg is added.

Mix in sour cream , flour and vanilla until smooth. Pour the filling batter over the crust.

Put a shallow pan with one inch of water in on lower oven rack. (optional)

Bake for one hour in preheated oven. Turn oven off and let cake cool in oven for about 5 hours.

Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.

I may have to make another myself!

narnia

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2015, 07:49:55 PM »
Thanks so much!!!  Looks really yummmmmy!!!   ^-^