Author Topic: Rubbery Cheddar  (Read 885 times)

ksk2175

Rubbery Cheddar
« on: November 16, 2015, 02:47:32 AM »
Newbie question ... I'm only five cheeses in ... Just made a stirred curd jalapeño cheddar this weekend.  I thought the cook went really well but the curds were pretty moist when I put them into the mold. I pressed them gradually increasing weight and turning as directed. The whey was fairly clear so I figured I wasn't pressing too hard. The last two pressings were 12 hours at 40 lbs then 24 hours at 50-60 lbs.   I've just pulled it out to start it drying and although the curds have knitted well, it still feels a bit rubbery. I trimmed a small irregular edge and tasted it and it tasted a bit rubbery. Will this change with aging?

SOSEATTLE

Re: Rubbery Cheddar
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 02:11:42 AM »
Yes, fresh cheese curd is rubbery and will change with aging since things start drying out and changing with the aging process.

Susan

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: Rubbery Cheddar
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 09:32:51 PM »
Cheddar does take a while to mature.  The challenge with cheese with fresh matter in them is that there are bit harder to look after and too keep the molds at bay.  Wax it when dry and leave it for about 6 months (Minimum).  I tend to leave mine for 12 months but I don't add vege matter to them.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !