Author Topic: Is it necessary to boil the draining bag for chevre?  (Read 1342 times)

narnia

Is it necessary to boil the draining bag for chevre?
« on: November 16, 2015, 04:04:34 AM »
I learned how to make chevre by watching a youtube video.  She showed boiling all the utensils to be used but did not boil the pillowcase that she used to drain the chevre.  She said that she washed it in Clorox only.

Well, the nut milk bag that I bought to use....I was told by the seller /maker that I should not boil the bag due to its being nylon.  So, I just washed it in Castile soap with hot water and let it hang to dry in the cold oven.  Was this OK, or should I have used something else that I could boil instead?  I don't do well with Clorox (the odor bothers me a lot) so I did not use it.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: Is it necessary to boil the draining bag for chevre?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 04:42:13 AM »
All I ever do is wash it in the washing machine with the other dish towels .  My  thinking is things can get contaminated just walking across the room .  The only time I do more than this is when I am making a soft cheese that will have  surface treatments that will raise the ph  back above 6 .

In these cases I will use the sterilizer that I use for all my other utensils the product is called steramine

narnia

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 04:28:55 PM »
Gregore...you have been doing this for how long and have not had any problems?

I do agree that there is so much in the air that it can get contaminated walking across the room.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 05:38:40 AM »
I have been making cheese for about a year and a half now , for the first year I made only reblochon ( soft aged cheese / stinky type)  and  tommes . I wanted to experience how the raw milk was going to change through out the year so I figured the best way to notice changes was to do the same ones over and over. 

In the last half a year I have been slowly adding in other cheeses that differ from the other 2 types by only small changes in the recipe.

As far as having no issues with any types of contamination , I have never had any early blowing or late blowing , but I also make my cheese in a room as far away from all my wife's kombucha and pickling experiments going on in the kitchen .

My thinking is that I will be clean and tidy ,  I use tablet sanitizer on anything that may also be normal kitchen tools , tools that are only for cheese are washed after using but may or may not be sanitized before using .

Cheese cloth is dipped in sanitizer and rung out just before using , for chèvre I  have been known not to sanitize the cloth as the cheese will go straight from the salting into the fridge and be eaten relatively quickly .

if I was making cheese commercially then I would be far more worried  and much much more careful as a batch of cheese  gone bad could be very expensive .

I think for what you are making chèvre cheese that stays at a relatively low ph  until it is eaten  you really should have no worries . If it makes you feel safer, then boil or sanitize everything .

It is no fun eating your cheese while worrying about being sick form it.

narnia

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 06:54:43 PM »
Thanks Gregore!  Very true!  No no fun eating while worrying! 

I did boil the flour sack towels since they have been used as kitchen towels for many years, but the new nylon nut milk bag, I had only used for my first cheese just a few days prior and had washed in castile soap and hung to dry then put in a zip lock bag, so I just used without boiling, as the maker said that I could not boil these.  For peace of mind, I think that I need to get some that I can boil.