Author Topic: Press - timnbama's Homemade Cheese Press  (Read 2696 times)

timnbama

Press - timnbama's Homemade Cheese Press
« on: May 17, 2009, 01:36:15 AM »
I finally got it cut out and put together, with the help of my 11 year old nephew. A little sanding and a few more carriage head bolts should wind it up. The 2x4's in the 4th photo surround the uprights and the one that lies between the uprights has a floor flange attached to the underside of it with the pipe screwed into it and another fllor flange that will rest against the follower. There is another 2x4 under the slide assembly that has a hole in each end that goes down over the all-thread rods to hold the hoop stationary. It has a hole drilled in the center of it that the pipe runs down thru.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 01:45:39 AM by timnbama »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Press - timnbama's Homemade Cheese Press
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 01:49:54 AM »
Interesting idea. I'd like to see how it works for you.

timnbama

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 02:50:55 AM »
I've got the slide table with just enough clearance around the uprights and just enough between the uprights for the center 2x to slide fairly easily but then tight enough to take out any possiblility for it to tilt in any direction. Hopefully this will ensure that the cheeses all come out even and not tilted like so many presses that I've seen do. A cheese wheel that is 3" on one side and 2-1/2" on the other side just don't look right.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 03:03:31 AM »
That often happens when the plunger is to thin and tends to flex.

joamariel

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 02:14:40 PM »
I would love to see some plans for this if you have them. I am looking to put together something myself and there are so many better options than buying one. Let me know.