Author Topic: Another caerphilly - maybe it needs a different name?  (Read 982 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Another caerphilly - maybe it needs a different name?
« on: November 25, 2015, 03:41:06 AM »
My standard "caerphilly" make is sort of in-between the stirred curd and caerphilly recipes in the Caldwell book. I have followed this same make for about 2 years, trying different starters. The family's early preference was that made with 4001. Now I use Kazu and it is just a good easy to like fresh or cooking cheese. Since I make it with raw milk, I prefer to age it at least 2 months. But it is really tasty at 4 months as well. I don't think I have ever saved one longer than that. The very best one was a combo of goat and Jersey milk, that grew a thick covering when the humidity was too high in the cave. I will order some PLA from Artisan Geek, to try and help more growth on my rinds I think! This one was Jersey and Goat, and was made in July, and opened at 4 months. I used the liquid paste calf rennet which tends to have a longer floc time even though I think I am overshooting the amount of rennet. Probably I will not bother ordering that type of rennet again.
Make sheet follows the image...
Susan