Author Topic: Pecorino Fresco Cheese Recipe?  (Read 2022 times)

Rosepetal

Pecorino Fresco Cheese Recipe?
« on: November 28, 2015, 03:42:03 AM »
Hi Everyone,
I know I'll probably have to mortgage the house in order to afford the sheep milk needed but would anyone have a tried & tested recipe for a fresh Pecorino cheese? Mum loves this cheese and I figured since it won't take long to age...I'll make her some.  Searched the web with very little guidance.  Hoping some of you experienced makers had a recipe or guidance.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
Re: Pecorino Fresco Cheese Recipe?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 02:58:34 PM »
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Rosepetal

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 12:05:58 AM »
HI Bill, 
Thanks for the reply and the links.
I saw the article before.  I just thought it was a little vague and hoped there would be a more specific recipe around.
The video made me laugh at how "rustic" it is.  The only modern thing I saw was the moulds they used.  But hey, that's how it was done pre-modern days with milk from a plastic carton and culture from the internet direct to your freezer.
Thanks again, I'll try looking further as I'm really keen to try it out.
Cheers.

qdog1955

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 12:24:37 PM »
200 Easy cheese recipes, by Amrein-Boyes has a pecorino ramano recipe that works well----I prefer less salt and brine it less time----I also prefer it fresher-----so I don't age it near as long. You would probably have to experiment with the brine time and aging to get the flavor and texture you want.
Qdog

Rosepetal

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 07:43:55 PM »
Thanks for the advise qdog,
I just ordered that book over the weekend.  I think I'll give it a try once I receive it.  How long for brine time & aging do you suggest?  I don't want it over salty either.

qdog1955

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 12:25:35 PM »
I brined a 4 gallon make about 12 hours in heavy brine-----then air dried, coat in olive oil, vac bag----aged 2 to 4 months until the cheese was the way I preferred---took alot of testing in between---I do pretty much the same with Parmesan-----I don't care much for moldy rinds. Don't be afraid to experiment once you have experience. As I said, my preference in salt and texture would probably be different then others.
  By the way, only used sheep milk once ( it was free ) and I preferred the raw Jersey milk----I think you really like that flavor or you don't---most people I know , didn't.

Rosepetal

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 10:45:18 AM »
Thanks for the advise qdog.
Will give that a try.  Probably with cow milk first before the more expensive sheep milk.
Cheers.