Author Topic: Goat milk Cheddar or a blend of?  (Read 2085 times)

MarshmallowBlue

Goat milk Cheddar or a blend of?
« on: December 01, 2015, 04:39:20 PM »
Hey everyone, Is it possible to make cheddar, or other hard cheese form goat's milk, or a blend of goat and cow? How does it change the flavors? I really like goat cheese and cheddar, and was wondering if someone could share some info on the topic.

Thanks in advance.

lovinglife

Re: Goat milk Cheddar or a blend of?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 07:05:50 PM »
It makes great hard cheeses, just follow any recipe for raw milk, if you are using it raw that is.  I have several different kinds of goat cheese aging in the wine cooler, only one I have tried yet is gouda and it is fantastic!

MarshmallowBlue

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 08:32:37 PM »
Excellent news, thank you. Now I just need to find a source. I saw somewhere here that any store bought milk is Utra pasteurized. Is that a big of a deal if you're using it with store bought cow milk that is just regular pasteurized?

lovinglife

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 11:17:45 PM »
Oh bummer, I figured you had your own goat!  If you were my neighbor I am sure I would have plenty to share next spring, maybe search some farmer markets or sustainability sites (wrong time of year for farmer markets...my bad), maybe you can find some not too far away.

Kern

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 06:34:23 AM »
Marsh.... Not sure what you mean by "regular pasteurized cow milk".  Vat pasteurized (non homogenized) milk (145F, 30 minutes) makes good cheese, other store bought milk (except raw but try to find it in a store even if it can be legally sold in the state you are shopping in!) makes poor cheese.  Raw or vat pasteurized goat milk makes excellent cheese.  You can always add lipase to cow's milk for that goaty flavor.  :P

(Caldwell covers this in her book).   :)

MarshmallowBlue

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 02:19:05 PM »
Marsh.... Not sure what you mean by "regular pasteurized cow milk".  Vat pasteurized (non homogenized) milk (145F, 30 minutes) makes good cheese, other store bought milk (except raw but try to find it in a store even if it can be legally sold in the state you are shopping in!) makes poor cheese. Raw or vat pasteurized goat milk makes excellent cheese. You can always add lipase to cow's milk for that goaty flavor.  :P

By that I just meant regular ("pasteurized") milk, versus "Ultra Pasteurized" Which I know to be bad. So what you're saying is I should look for the words non-homogonized instead of pasteurized / ultra pasteurized?

In the middle of writing the reply, I read up on Lipase and it looks like just the tool for me!

Stinky

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 03:04:07 PM »
Marsh.... Not sure what you mean by "regular pasteurized cow milk".  Vat pasteurized (non homogenized) milk (145F, 30 minutes) makes good cheese, other store bought milk (except raw but try to find it in a store even if it can be legally sold in the state you are shopping in!) makes poor cheese.  Raw or vat pasteurized goat milk makes excellent cheese.  You can always add lipase to cow's milk for that goaty flavor.  :P

Well, a few things here.

I make cheese with pasteurized and homogenized milk. Plain old grocery store stuff. The main difference between it and unhomogenized is that it's been homogenized, and also, because it's grocery store milk, it's been treated rather roughly and has to be handled more gently. For example, it's best to let the curds heal after renneting and then jiggle the pot for a while if you want regular-sized curds. But it's really not that bad if you're rather not pay extra for good milk. It can be done easily.

As for lipase... it's not really recommended apart from some Italian types like Asiago. You see, it's an enzyme naturally contained in milk that breaks down fatty acids in the milk and releases more flavor. The natural lipase is present in unpasteurized milk. However, storebought lipase is much much stronger. It'll tear into your fatty acids, particularly if you're making cheese with weakly structured milk, and go farther than you want. This'll get you a decent Italian cheese, but should not be used otherwise.

MarshmallowBlue

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 03:14:18 PM »
For example, it's best to let the curds heal after renneting and then jiggle the pot for a while if you want regular-sized curds. But it's really not that bad if you're rather not pay extra for good milk. It can be done easily.

As for lipase... it's not really recommended apart from some Italian types like Asiago. You see, it's an enzyme naturally contained in milk that breaks down fatty acids in the milk and releases more flavor. The natural lipase is present in unpasteurized milk. However, store bought lipase is much much stronger. It'll tear into your fatty acids, particularly if you're making cheese with weakly structured milk, and go farther than you want. This'll get you a decent Italian cheese, but should not be used otherwise.

1. What do you mean let the curds heal?

2. Can you get a sharp cheese like cheddar or goat without Lipase in store bought milk?

3. If I were to get my hands on raw milk, is it best to make cheese that day or the next (ASAP Basically)?

Stinky

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 03:57:42 PM »
For example, it's best to let the curds heal after renneting and then jiggle the pot for a while if you want regular-sized curds. But it's really not that bad if you're rather not pay extra for good milk. It can be done easily.

As for lipase... it's not really recommended apart from some Italian types like Asiago. You see, it's an enzyme naturally contained in milk that breaks down fatty acids in the milk and releases more flavor. The natural lipase is present in unpasteurized milk. However, store bought lipase is much much stronger. It'll tear into your fatty acids, particularly if you're making cheese with weakly structured milk, and go farther than you want. This'll get you a decent Italian cheese, but should not be used otherwise.

1. What do you mean let the curds heal?

2. Can you get a sharp cheese like cheddar or goat without Lipase in store bought milk?

3. If I were to get my hands on raw milk, is it best to make cheese that day or the next (ASAP Basically)?

1.After cutting the curd mass, let it sit for 5-10 minutes and firm up so it doesn't fall apart when stirred.

2. Cheddar, yes. Cheddar is not a lipase-based cheese. It takes a while to age to get the ideal idealness, but definitely can be done. You can only really make a cheese that tastes like a goat cheese with goat milk.

3. Always best to make cheese with as fresh of milk as possible, but if you can't do it ASAP do it as soon as reasonably possible. It won't die.

lovinglife

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 07:01:20 PM »
Fresher the better with raw milk, or any milk for that matter.  I believe (I am a beginner also) that the longer aging is where you get the sharpness.  Don't quote me on that.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 07:47:39 PM »
Yes, be careful on the lipase. I got some and tried it on a couple of different makes, including a Caerphilly (aged 3-4 weeks) and a Lancashire (aged 6-8 weeks). The former was pretty good, the latter got too lipase-y. I also made a Manchego style using lipase, and at 6 months it is radioactive -- such a strong lipase taste that almost no one likes it. And I used less than half of the amount called for in the recipe!!

I've got a Romano at 10 months of age and counting that I used lipase in; I have hopes that I will like the result there ...
-- Andy