Author Topic: Looking for Reblechon/Chevroten recipe  (Read 3237 times)

rosawoodsii

Looking for Reblechon/Chevroten recipe
« on: December 02, 2015, 01:42:17 AM »
I've been reading a lot on here about Reblechon and Chevrotin, but so far have found only one recipe for "Another sort of Chevrotin".  Kathrin (Tiarella) mentioned Iratherfly's recipe for Reblochon, but I'm unable to find it.

Can someone direct me to a recipe for either Chevrotin or Reblochin?

SOSEATTLE

rosawoodsii

Re: Looking for Reblechon/Chevroten recipe
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 03:17:58 AM »
Thanks.  Hopefully Iratherfly will chime in with his Reblochon recipe as well.

tarwin

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 04:04:46 AM »

Kern

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 05:38:21 AM »
Tarwin posted a link to the best thread I've seen on the Forum regarding making Reblochon.  I spoke with Yoav (Iratherfly) yesterday on the telephone asking if there is anything he'd change from in his post on http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,9928.0.html  He stated that Sacco has some new ripening cultures (Lyofast SE-2 & SRC-1) that he'd use along with the KL yeast mentioned in the recipe in the above thread.  As many know Yoav is the owner of Artisan Geek, an excellent supplier of cheese making supplies (artisangeek.com)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 06:30:51 AM »
Reblechon Reblochon Reblochin
Hey, what's in a name?  ;)

I have had good success in the past with this style: #1,#2, #3, #4, #5

Perhaps there's something here that you would find useful.  :)

I would recommend the treatise by "iratherfly", observe the form factor for even ripening, and watch the French videos to get a better idea for the process itself.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

rosawoodsii

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 02:25:48 PM »
Thank you all.  Yes, this is what I was looking for, and bonuses as well.  How cool!

Since I'll be making this will raw goat milk, will it actually be Chevrotin or is there more difference than cow vs goat milk?  I have noticed that my aging times for goat milk tend to be much shorter than cow milk.  I may start experimenting with less rennet and longer set times to see what that will give me.  I've also been told that raw milk should get less culture than pasteurized.  I have always started with raw milk, as the thought of buying milk from animals who are nothing but milk machines, living their lives on concrete and eating grains that upset their natural metabolism, appalls me, so I have no experience using anything but raw as a starter.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 03:30:56 AM »
I make iratherflies recipe all the time with raw cow milk , This is a very good recipe .

Make sure you follow the 60f for the first few days until the cheese  gets a slimy outside that is the Geo , this will raise the ph enough for the  b linens  to take off

tarwin

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 09:55:18 AM »
I make iratherflies recipe all the time with raw cow milk , This is a very good recipe .

Make sure you follow the 60f for the first few days until the cheese  gets a slimy outside that is the Geo , this will raise the ph enough for the  b linens  to take off

This recipe followed closely nails it.
Here is a pic of one I cut today that was molded on the 17th October

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 07:06:24 AM »
This recipe followed closely nails it.
Here is a pic of one I cut today that was molded on the 17th October
The linens really looks moist & stinky. Is it?

The overhead shot is nice, but do you have any profile shots that show that creamy paste?

A cheese to you for what looks like an awesome Reblochon. Any tasting notes?

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

tarwin

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 04:50:10 AM »

The linens really looks moist & stinky. Is it?

The overhead shot is nice, but do you have any profile shots that show that creamy paste?

A cheese to you for what looks like an awesome Reblochon. Any tasting notes?

-Boofer-

It has pretty much what you expect from the cheese. The smell escapes the fridge and permeates the kitchen. The PLA has done it's rind thing.  It is at a pretty good ripeness  level now. No secrets here Iratherflys recipe plus milk straight from the farm vat. Unless high quality fresh raw milk is a secret.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 04:59:10 AM by tarwin »