Author Topic: Geotricum--differences in strains  (Read 1749 times)

rosawoodsii

Geotricum--differences in strains
« on: December 05, 2015, 11:08:02 PM »
What is the difference between different strains of Geotricum?

Danisco has Geo 13 and 15 and 17, than there's Sacco GCA and GCC.

I've been using Geo 13 in my Camembert, but now I'm going on to Valencay and Crottin and wonder just what the differences are.

SOSEATTLE

Re: Geotricum--differences in strains
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 01:36:09 AM »
Here are some basic descriptions.  https://www.getculture.com/geotrichum-candidum/

I have found that experimentation is a better way to tell the differences based on my own make recipes, milk, and aging techniques.

Susan

rosawoodsii

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 03:45:37 PM »
If I'm reading the descriptions right, it looks like Geo 17 would be a better choice for Cambozola, allowing more time for the blue to grow.  I'm not sure I see the difference between Geo 13 and Geo 15.  How do molds and yeast differ in appearance?  (Geo 13 says mold-like appearance, and Geo 15 says yeast-like appearance.)

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 02:06:40 AM »
I have not personally tried all the different strains. I us 17. I would suspect that the mold-like appearance would be "fuzzier" than the yeast-like strains.

Susan

rosawoodsii

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 04:23:21 AM »
I looked on Artisan Geek website at their descriptions.  Apparently the 17 has more of a "brainy" look to it, 13 and 15 are smoother, more fuzzy.  Then I called and talked to Yoav, and he said 13 is actually sort of in between 15 and 17, not what you'd think by the numbering system.  I suppose when it comes right down to it, we all use what we're familiar with if it works well in our cheeses.

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 02:13:11 AM »
I love the wrinkled "brainy" look  ^-^

Susan