Author Topic: A lovely bunch of creamy's (that will hopefully turn blue)  (Read 2506 times)

lycon

A lovely bunch of creamy's (that will hopefully turn blue)
« on: December 09, 2015, 11:10:52 AM »
Hey everyone

Today I slowly slid a cheese from its mould to reveal a creamy delicious looking mass of curd, I must say that never in my few experiences at making cheese has the result been so close to what the aim was. I can only pray now that I have the ability to nurse these babies through to their grizzly demise at the hands of many knife-wielding Italians at my Nona's 80'th birthday celebration. although I haven't weighed them yet, I believe that I have one that is about 2kg, one that is around 500g and one that is around 250g. Im not sure if the small one will make the journey but if it does we will eat it at 5 weeks, the medium one will be at 6 weeks and the big one at 8 weeks.

The recipe that I loosely based the cheese on was the 'Stilton type cheese' in Ricki Carroll's book of course with some information gleaned from this forum. The make was as follows:

Stilton Type cheese
16 L farmers own pasteurised only milk Fat: 3.8% Protein: 3.1%
1 L Anchor pure cream Fat: 40% Protein: 2%

1.   Milk and cream was heated to 32C and the following was added
1 knife point Penicillin roqueforti (the supplier describes it as a strong flavoured strain)
1 ‘drop’ Sigma 30 - Saccromyces Yeast
3 ‘dashes’ Type B starter (Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis, Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris and Lactoccocus lactis subsp. lactis biovar diacetylactis
2ml CaCl 50% solution dissolved in ¼ cup of pure water
The milk was allowed to ripen for 60mins and a pH reading of 6.8 was obtained

2.   3.6ml of vegetarian rennet dissolved in ¼ cup of pure water was added and stirred thoroughly for 1 min.
Flocculation occurred at 24mins and a factor of 6 was used so total setting time was 2hr 24mins

3.   After setting time the curds were gently ladled into a total of 3 draining cloths and tied into balls to set in their own whey for 90 mins; a pH reading of 6.7 was obtained

4.   The curds were then hung to drain for 30 minutes after which the pH reading was 5.1

5.   The curds were then placed between two boards and pressed lightly (3.75kg) overnight at ambient temperatures between 21 and 24C (total pressing time 11hrs) the pH after this press was 4.8

6.   The curds were milled into thumb sized pieces, weighed (3335g) and salted at a rate of 2% weight (67g)

7.   The salted curds were then gently placed into the moulds (one 2kg mould and 2 500g moulds) with minimal pressing to ensure a few nooks and crannies for the blue to grow

The cheeses were flipped at a rate of once every 15 mins for the first 2 hours, once every 2 hours for the next 6 hours and then 3 times daily.

I will update this topic as things progress and no doubt ask many a nervous newbie questions!  :-\
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 11:48:23 AM by lycon »

Kern

Re: A lovely bunch of creamy's (that will hopefully turn blue)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 06:08:22 AM »
They look like Stiltons but I didn't see any mention of P.R. (Penicillin roqueforti) in your notes.  Where is the blue going to come from?

lycon

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 11:42:07 AM »
Oh yes I did indeed add some at the ripening stage. Thanks for pointing that out I will edit it shortly.

It's onto its 3rd day at the moment and no mould yet but from browsing around I believe that the 4th or 5th day is the norm. I will post some pics when it happens.

lycon

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 06:30:25 AM »
So it has been a few days since this cheese was created and I would like to post an update.

The mould appeared on the evening of the 4th day and on the morning of the 5th day I smoothed it over and today (6th day) I placed it in the cave (in its own high humidity container) for ageing.

The cheese itself is still a little moist (although not dripping or anything). I was wondering if i should leave it uncovered until the rind becomes a little hard? Or is it OK just to leave it nice and humid and allow it to breath for an hour each day?

john H

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 02:52:45 AM »
Well done Lycon your blue is coming along nicely.

lycon

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 12:48:03 PM »
Thanks John  ;D

I am quite happy with it so far, hopefully it will be a good boy for the rest of its aging process!

lycon

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 10:36:31 AM »
I pierced this cheese yesterday, from tasting the paste it is developing quite a strong blue flavour already and its already quite funky looking! Its not as salty as I was expecting although from eating only a small amount it is hard to tell; Perhaps next time I can add an extra 0.25% of the curd weight in salt but ill wait until I taste a big piece before deciding on recipe 2.0  :P

When I pierced I certainly felt some little pockets in there so I am hopeful that there will be some nice veins!

Sorry its a little hard to see the holes, I must find somewhere with better lighting for my cheese photo's

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 03:23:06 PM »
Beautiful cheese!  AC4U!!  I normally let mine set out to form the rind before putting them into the cave and then air them for an hour or two every day but yours certainly seems to have done wonderfully your way!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Frodage3

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 07:21:41 AM »
Hi Lycon,
That is a beautiful cheese, my friend. Very beautiful indeed!

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 01:24:50 AM »
Hi Lloyd - -looks like a wonderful cheese.  The funky look is great - in my opinion anyway.  Al's method of airing daily is a great one for getting the dry crumbly stilton like rind.  I tend to keep mine in it's separate aging container to get the stronger tasting but slightly slimey rind, a bit like yours :). There is always the risk of the cheese getting too wet this way.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !