Author Topic: Amazing  (Read 1534 times)

sjf

Amazing
« on: December 13, 2015, 06:08:06 PM »
this is my 2nd yr making cheese from my Jersey milk cow. I ran into a chloroform issue, tightened up my sanitation practices and started pasteurizing before i make cheese. Excellent results there after. I milk my cow daily, getting a gallon a day, So every 3-4 days/gallons I process the milk into butter, yogurt & cheese. I have 4 gallon jugs i use for storing my milk in the fridge. My milk jugs all have spouts at the bottom for draining the milk for drinking and also very useful for separation of milk and cream when making butter. Heres what happened,,, This am I go to last nights full milk jug, turn the spout to get some milk on my cereal and nothing came out !! The whole gallon jug of milk had set into a curd, overnight in my 37 degree refrigerator. This has never happened before, everything was clean (so i thought). Even if the was a cross contamination of some starter, how in the world does it set over night at 37 degrees??

Stinky

Re: Amazing
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 09:16:09 PM »
What's a chloroform issue?  ???

Did you measure the pH of the curd? How solid was it? That's fascinating.

sjf

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 12:31:06 AM »
chloroform is a bacteria that is basically everywhere, and multiplies rapidly at cheese making temps 86+. It will give you springy/spongy sometimes holey curds that are literally impossible to press. I had a couple batches like that, the first thing i did was blame my old press. lol  Well after researching the problem, realized i was actually breeding chloroform by the millions. Pasteurization kills it, so then the starters that you add will take over. The curd milk jug was kinda a semi-soft curd. i was able to cut the curd, but not a real good separation of curd and whey ever achieved. So then i decided the cook the curds, they did not cook up like normal, and kinda broke apart in small pieces, so i went with it and stirred with a whisk.  i brought my temp way up to 165, (just encase i was breeding bad bugs again) then ice water cool it down fast and drained. I ended up with small very tasty curds (ive never made cheese with my cream intact until now , lol ). I then added cream atop for cottage cheese. The whey was very milky and the chickens enjoyed it. All i can figure is,,, somehow, which is beyond me, there was some thermophilic culture (yogurt) remains in this jug and im not cooling my milk down fast enough and it grew.

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 05:40:38 AM »
Do you perhaps mean Clostridium?
- Andrew

sjf

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 12:47:04 PM »
Coliform, i mean Coliform,, lol  Isnt chloroform what they give you to make you pass out??  lol   
 http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php?topic=10100.0
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coliform_bacteria

Kern

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 11:15:47 PM »
Your jug cycling schedule should be sanitize the jug, fill with milk, use the milk, rinse the jug, sanitize the jug, and repeat.  If you don't sanitize in each fill cycle then you'll leave a little bacterial rich residue, thus adding active bacteria to the new milk.  At some point the residue will contain a high enough amount of bacteria to coagulate the milk and produce what you see.   :(

sjf

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 12:52:53 PM »
I disassembled every jug spout and sanitized everything, the next milking was good. Had 4 gallons/days of milk. So on the 5th day (the coagulated jug put me behind 1 day)  i made my butter as usual, only to discover one of my jugs had spoiled (chickens luv it). But the below cream milk i use for cheese, would not set a curd. So now im actually dating the milk every night. Now, Last nights milk, theres now no cream line & my cow is only 1/2 through her milk cycle. I just dont know whats going on,,, if its not one thing its another.

Stinky

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 03:15:45 PM »
Coliform, i mean Coliform,, lol  Isnt chloroform what they give you to make you pass out??  lol   
 http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php?topic=10100.0
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coliform_bacteria

You may understand why I was confused.  ;D But yes, that makes more sense. xD