Author Topic: need suggestions for washing rinds on asiago and gruyere  (Read 3224 times)

john H

need suggestions for washing rinds on asiago and gruyere
« on: December 16, 2015, 01:32:14 AM »
Hi all, I have made my first asiago and gruyere cheeses and the recipes I used are pretty veg. I just said to wash twice a week with brine solution from that I would assume the 18% solution. I know I have read washing the rind was done with a 3% solution. I have also read about flavoured washes. I am looking for suggestions whether traditional or flavoured.

Thanks  John 

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: need suggestions for washing rinds on asiago and gruyere
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 03:41:09 AM »
Wash with 3 to 5 percent depending on what you want to culture on the surface.  3 percent is a good place to start .
I would go,with no,flavor the first time

john H

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 12:38:38 PM »
Thanks Gregore should I add B Linens to the brine I think it adds a little stinky to the cheese.

Stinky

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 04:24:21 PM »
What size are you doing?

There are two routes to go: you could just wipe the surface off with a heavy brine every few days, letting it dry before , basically to knock back anything on the surface, and you'll have a fairly clean and nice rind. This is the boring way.

The other way is building up B Linens on the surface of the cheese and making a really fun and cool rind that's very complex on the outside. If you choose the latter, I can tell you more.

I'd definitely recommend washing the Gruyere, as that's the way it's always been made in the Alps. The Asiago, I believe, is not traditionally made with a washed rind, so if you want to you could do one of each.

john H

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 07:46:18 PM »
"The other way is building up B Linens on the surface of the cheese and making a really fun and cool rind that's very complex on the outside. If you choose the latter, I can tell you more."

I would like the wash routine with B Lines for the  Gruyere. I thought the asiago was a washed rind but will have to take another look at that if so I will do a straight brine wash with it.

Thanks for your help

Stinky

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 08:15:25 PM »
What size cheese are you making?

Mkay. I tend to wax verbose on this topic, so I'll just sketch out a simple plan for you and explain the basics.

Whip up, in a little tupperware, a ~8-16% brine, with about 1/6 of the water being wine. The salt and alcohol combine to kill off organisms on the surface while allowing the linens to grow. Do not make a new one. By the time you'll have used it enough for it to be not good, at least if you're making cheese regularly, you'll be able to tell. Don't replace it until it's really really bad and stinky and horrible. Because that's what you want. If you don't have linens yet, don't worry. Wash the cheese, you may not get much the first few cheeses, but pretty soon you'll have a lovely bright linens. See here for progression on my cheeses. Once it's established, it'll take a few days before you see it.

I digress. So with a brush, whether a cleaning-type or a finger-nail type, preferably natural but it doesn't have to be, dip it a little way into the brine. Then smear this around on the outside. Let it stand outside until it's dried off until it's moist/tacky rather than wet (this also gives time for more linens to come), then put back in cave. Once you have linens, you'll be able to tell, because when you get the cheese wet you'll be rubbing around a sort of slimy substance. Do not wash this off. Just smear it around with your brush, don't be afraid to handle it with your hands. The tricky part here is getting the right moisture on the rind. If too wet, the linens will thrive too much and the cheese will taste like linens. If too dry, then other molds can take over. If really too wet, it gets blue mold and if really too dry it cracks.

Follow a schedule of 1/day per first two weeks or so, washing one side per day, then 2-3/week for another 2-3 weeks, and less often over time until it's established a nice firm rind.

It is not advised to dip your brush into the liquid more than once, or you risk getting it too wet.

This advice is all for smaller cheeses, I generally make 2 pound makes. With larger wheels, you want to make the linens thrive more and get a really thick and nice skin on the outside. But if you do this on a smaller scale, it ends up with linensy cheeses.

Also, read this. Everything I know about washed rinds, I first got from him and then tried here. The Swiss have it figured out.

Please ask if you have any questions.

john H

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 08:41:41 PM »
sorry 2.5 lbs

Stinky

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 09:32:33 PM »
Then my advice applies and all is well.  :)

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 06:48:08 AM »
Yes read the link that stinky provided , every thing one could want to know about washed rind cheese is in there somewhere .

john H

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 03:18:41 PM »
Yes read the link that stinky provided , every thing one could want to know about washed rind cheese is in there somewhere .

Thanks Stinky and Gregore for the advice. I have read through your post Stinky and plan on going through Alpkaserei's post (all 10 pages)  :D today.

John

john H

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 05:27:51 PM »
After doing some reading I am thinking of using some white wine in the wash. Does anyone know what percent of the wash should be wine?

Thanks John

Stinky

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 05:58:07 PM »
Like I said, one sixth is pretty good for this type of cheese. More and you can overencourage the linens.