Author Topic: Who can think of cheeses that fit ?  (Read 1505 times)

amiriliano

Who can think of cheeses that fit ?
« on: December 16, 2015, 07:09:44 PM »
Hi all

I'm trying to think all the cheeses that fit the following criteria:

1) Cow milk
2) Hard (must be less than 39% moisture)
3) Good for eating around 2 months of aging

Caerphilly is one option

Any others?

Thanks!

Stinky

Re: Who can think of cheeses that fit ?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 05:51:01 AM »
Butterkase, Caerphilly, Lancashire, Asiago, Manchego are the ones that come to mind right away. I believe there are a good number of younger Italian ones as well...

amiriliano

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 12:39:07 PM »
Manchego and lancashire might work. I feel like butterkasse and Asiago wouldn't be considered "hard" cheeses at 39% moisture content or less.

Stinky

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 03:37:41 PM »
Well, I mean, yes, but that's also sort of tricky because a lot of the way cheeses reach a low moisture content is through extended aging. FWIW my young Asiago was pretty similar to my Hispanico at the same age.

qdog1955

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 11:08:37 AM »
Well, Emi, here's my two cents worth----I am very partial to Asiago---so my view may be slightly jaded-----but Asiago is probably my favorite cheese to make and one of my favs to eat-----so far,  I have never had a failure with this cheese, it's pretty forgiving (except for the one I dropped in the driveway, on the way to the smoker) It is great as a young cheese---or any where in between----with a few variations in the recipe it can be taken all the way to a hard grinding cheese or a softer shredding cheese------the flavor is much better then Romano, as good as, or better then Parmesan. It's great using raw milk, P/H milk or a blend.
  It's the versatility of this cheese I like so much and I have to agree with Stinky---I think the aging and salting is the big factor in the moisture.
Did I mention----it's the best on a steak sandwich----even better than Provolone.
Qdog

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 03:36:41 PM »
I make one of my own concoctions that probably meets all of your requirements.  I do a 4 pound parm make, press it overnight at 450 pounds, brine for 12 hours, let it dry a couple of days to get a dry outside, not really a rind, then I cold smoke it for three hours with apple wood, wax it and open it after about 45 days.  Wipe the outside with white wine to get rid of the bitter smoke and eat.  I really like it.   BTW qdog1955 we can do another entire thread on what's best on a steak sandwich!!  LOL
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 06:00:53 PM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

amiriliano

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 04:23:55 PM »
Thanks guys. Excellent advice. Both ideas are interesting.

And, coming from Philly, I am deeply and emotinally damaged by you referring to slices of a blue on steak meat as a "cheesesteak".  :P :P :P :P ;D

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 06:00:21 PM »
LOL  That's no cheesesteak, that's a panini!!  And I'm not with the "whiz" crowd. LOL

Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

amiriliano

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 12:47:08 AM »
Phew. Had me going there for a minute.

The correct way to order a Philly cheesesteak in Philly: "whiz wit, please"

Translation: Cheese Whiz and sauted onions!