Author Topic: Churning speed: Does it matter?  (Read 4388 times)

billmac

Churning speed: Does it matter?
« on: December 17, 2015, 01:56:39 PM »
So I just started milking one of our goats and have a cream separator coming.  I'm looking forward to making butter.  I have a kitchenaid and a food processor.  I know both can be used, but I'm guessing the food processor makes shorter work of the cream than the kitchenaid.  Does the churning speed matter?

Kern

Re: Churning speed: Does it matter?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 10:02:31 PM »
I think you want a low shear rate when you make butter.  The food processor not only is very high shear it will also cut up the little butter globules and prevent them from agglomerating.  I'd go with the Kitchenaid with the batter blade and control the shear rate with the speed.   

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 02:02:25 AM »
I agree.

Susan

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 02:23:49 AM »
Oh my wife would NEVER let me near her Kitchen Aid never alone churn butter in it... That would not be a pretty picture  :o

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Sweet Leaves Farm

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 08:43:25 PM »
If you do use the food processor, you have to use the Pulse setting. and you get more of a whipped butter.

tnsven

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 11:56:34 PM »
I've made butter for a decade in my food processor and my KitchenAid.  I use the dough blade in the food processor and the whisk in the KitchenAid.  No issues at all.  If you are getting whipped butter, then the cream may be too warm.

Kristin

mswhin63

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 08:09:44 AM »
I also use the Whisk in my "Claytons Kitchen Aid" (Breville). I always find cultured butter changes a lot quicker than straight cream churning.