Author Topic: Flavoring 30 minute mozzarella  (Read 1042 times)

billmac

Flavoring 30 minute mozzarella
« on: December 17, 2015, 03:02:11 PM »
I like making and freezing the 30 minute mozzarella for pizza.  But I find I don't like using lipase to flavor it.  I can't really describe the flavor but it's unpleasant.  But using no flavoring results in not much flavor, compared with commercial mozzarella.  It's not as "cheesy" if that makes sense.  Could I use something like buttermilk to add flavor?  Any other ideas?

SOSEATTLE

Re: Flavoring 30 minute mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 02:12:30 AM »
Lipase comes in stronger and milder forms. If you are using the stronger form, try the milder or less of the stronger lipase. Buttermilk is already cultured and acidified. I think that would make getting the correct PH for the mozzarella to stretch properly much more difficult. What type of milk are you using? The couple times I have made mozzarella I used whole Jersey milk and it was delicious, even without lipase.

Susan

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 02:21:07 AM »
Also, Because this version is 'Fresh' it really can't compare to the properly age/Matured version.  There has been not chance for the culture to do anything - if you used any at all.  and if acidified using acid then it really doesn't have that much taste.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 01:32:29 AM »
What Mal said. There is quite a significant difference between the bland flavor of the 30-minute Moz vs. the cultured Moz.
-- Andy