Author Topic: Hitting the fermentation trifecta: cheese & pepperoni & beer  (Read 2337 times)

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • It aint easy being cheesy
Hitting the fermentation trifecta: cheese & pepperoni & beer
« on: December 18, 2015, 11:26:22 PM »
German pilsner in the front, pepperoni hanging, and blue cheeses in the containers behind the meat.  It's all going to be done in about a week.  The cheeses are all blues.  Added a pic below right after I rubbed one down really good and speared it.  Looks a little funny right there - it's covered in green again now. 

Pardon the rusting chest freezer.  It's not even that old, but it just doesn't like 50F. 

- Andrew

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
Re: Hitting the fermentation trifecta: cheese & pepperoni & beer
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 04:11:23 AM »
If you are going to continue using the chest freezer I would recommend coating it with some epoxy paint after neutralising the rust. e.g. KillRust

Now, I don't know if it is an issue, and I hope others can clarify, but things like Tetanus thrive in rust.

-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 03:32:00 PM »
Basically iron oxide but it does retain water and can be a breeding ground for nasties like clostridium tetani the bacteria responsible for tetanus. On another note, I just did 5 gallons of my own recipe, a smoked orange amber ale.  Still in the primary.  Will be doing my salami and sopressata right after Christmas.  Rather surprised the yeast from you beer hasn't affected your cheeses.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Stinky

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 03:47:50 PM »
Sauerkraut?

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 09:24:14 PM »
If you are going to continue using the chest freezer I would recommend coating it with some epoxy paint after neutralising the rust. e.g. KillRust

Now, I don't know if it is an issue, and I hope others can clarify, but things like Tetanus thrive in rust.

Right.  I have some rustoleum primer and paint all ready for when I empty this thing out next week.  I have another chest freezer that I've already painted.  This one's next.  Unlike refrigerators, there's no moving air / drip tray in a converted freezer.  So, if you don't use a dehumidifier, the humidity stays high.  I do have a little humidifier for it actually, but I rarely use it. 

Every month or two I bleach it.  That's probably one of the reasons it's falling apart so quickly.  So, regardless of how it looks, it probably doesn't have much fauna that I didn't put there myself :)  Saccharomyces, PC, PR, maybe a bit of lactobacillus. 

BTW, I spray the sausages with Penicillium Candidum to keep the other worse molds at bay. 
- Andrew

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 04:14:05 PM »
I spay the outside of mine with Mold 600, Penicillium nalgiovense.  Hoping this keeps everything bad out. LOL
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 01:53:41 AM »
I spay the outside of mine with Mold 600, Penicillium nalgiovense.  Hoping this keeps everything bad out. LOL

I read that there was another mold for meat, probably what you just wrote.  But it seemed to me that PC should do the same. 

Interesting, I haven't had ANY growth on this meat.  I dried salami last year and it kept getting various molds that I had to vinegar off.  Maybe the PC is working, or maybe I'm just lucky this time.  Dunno. 
- Andrew