Author Topic: Cheddar, again  (Read 2333 times)

tonyown

Cheddar, again
« on: December 28, 2015, 05:11:40 PM »
I'm trying to make cheddar today for the 7-10th time. I did some not bad cheddar before, but never had a great texture, always granular texture and the cheddar won't melt like commercial cheddar. I'll post some pictures later.

tonyown

Re: Cheddar, again
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 07:31:47 PM »
Always the same thing, heating the curd to 38 celcius and stir, it should drop from 6,6 to 6,2 ph in 30-60 min and I have 6,46 after an hour. Anyone ever seen that?

Kern

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 10:25:55 PM »
Whenever something you measure is physically impossible then assume that the measuring device is lying to you with a straight face!   >:(  pH (or is it PH at the start of a sentence?) meters like the Extech easily get clogged with a little fat and give erroneous readings.  I now wash the electrodes on mine after each reading with a little dish-washing detergent and rinse well before storing in a little distilled water.   It is physically impossible for a lactic fermentation to drop from a pH of 6.6 to 6.2 in 30 minutes and then jump up to 6.46 in another thirty minutes.  I would suspect that the 6.2 reading is in error.

tonyown

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 10:30:29 PM »
Meter is clean. It took 2h20 to pass from 6,6 to 6,2, not 30 minutes as supposed. Now I'm cheddarising and the ph is good 5.33 after 1hour and 4 returns. But the texture always seems to be friable, not elastic. I don't know if it will happen someday. Anyway it smells good

tonyown

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 10:39:50 PM »
5,53 i meant
now its 5,43 after 1h15 so I can't continue cheddarising for the normal 2 hours, I think ph will go too low

tonyown

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 03:40:54 PM »
Cheese is now under press, they look great. Same problem as usual, it won't melt like commercial cheddar and some curd are granular textured. I'll post my notes soon, here are some picture.

tonyown

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 08:11:03 PM »
Ok, it's in french, but here are my notes.
Maybe too much rennet so it slowed the acidification during the cooking? But my coagulation seem not to be firm enough, my curd are really easy to break and become smaller and smaller while I stir...
It took 2h16 minutes to obtain 6.2pH way too much time.
Any help would be great before my next try.

Kern

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 09:30:12 PM »
Looks good.  You were right to stop cheddaring when you reached the pH goal.  Next time cut back a bit on the starting culture.  This will lengthen the pH drop and allow more time for the make process to fit inside the pH drop and goals.  I like your creative air ram press.  Not sure what kind of pressures (or force) you can get with this.  Cheddar takes a lot to knit the salted curds.  I note that you have whitish liquid in the catch pan.  This might mean you are using too much pressure too early in the process and squeezing out too much liquid.  Don't know, however, without some dimensions and the force the ram is applying. 

Your post is a very good for first post and I'm proud to have the opportunity to award you with your first cheese.  (Thumbs up click)   ;D

tonyown

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 09:37:12 PM »
Thank you, you think too much culture? Why did it take 2h16 to pass from 6,62 to 6,2 then? It started well at first with the pH going down, but after the rennet it slowed a lot.

Kern

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 04:28:41 AM »
I looked at your notes and had some problem with the Canadian French so let me answer your question this way:  When you add a DVS culture to warming milk it takes about 30 minutes to hydrolyze ("wake up") the culture.  Then it starts to divide and divides roughly every 20 minutes.  Thus, if you have one "unit" of active culture when it is hydrolyzed, you have 2 units 20 minutes later, 4 units 20 minutes after that and 8 units after an hour.  After two hours you have 64 units.  All this is stylized but illustrates the point I'm about to make which is this:  The acid production rate assuming sufficient lactose is proportional to the amount of culture present and pH is proportional to the amount of acid present.  It takes a full two hours to get to 64 units.  After the next hour this increases to 512 units or roughly eight times as much culture producing acid after three hours compared to the amount producing acid after two hours.  Boiling this down the acid production increases exponentially and the pH drop accelerates downward in a similar fashion.

The process of renneting is one of starting to separate the curds and whey:  Cut the renneted milk and you have two phases:  the semi-solid curd that still contains a lot of whey and the whey itself.  The culture tends to stay with the curd and so the pH drops faster in the curd than the whey.  At this point you should only measure the pH in the curds as this is when your goal pH lies.  To do this you should grab a small handful of curd and squeeze it to remove the whey.  This is then "smushed" around the electrodes of the pH probe to get a reading that represents mostly the curds rather than an average of the curds and whey.  Got it?   :o

Do it this way and you'll get better consistency and be able to troubleshoot problems.  Other things being equal, pH and final moisture content determine the characteristics of the completed cheese.

tonyown

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 05:13:35 AM »
Thank you I'll make some test

tonyown

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 07:40:56 PM »
Doing an other test right now, I'll trad my notes so you can read.