Author Topic: Creating a Cold Smoked Cheese  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Creating a Cold Smoked Cheese
« on: December 30, 2015, 07:53:22 PM »
I really like smoked cheese.  To this end I decided to create a cheese that I could smoke and enjoy without trying to match anything currently on the market. I started with Caldwell's recipe for Classic Italian Style Extra-Hard Cheese using 4 gallons of whole milk and a quart of heavy whipping cream.  You can find it in her "Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking" book. Keep in mind I'm not planning on making parm or aging this cheese out that far.  With the cheese made, a four pound wheel, I air dried it for a day.  I then placed it in my cold smoker for 3 hours using cherry wood for smoke.  I find it gives the cheese the taste I'm looking for and a good color.  I removed the cheese from the smoker, right around 105° F, and allowed it to cool to room temperature at which time I waxed it and placed it in my cave for two months to allow the smoke to permeate through the cheese.  Today I removed the wax and will wipe the rind with white wine to clean off the bitter smoke layer on the outside of the cheese.  Then I will allow the rind to dry and place it back in the cave to age a bit and air out.  Once that is complete it will be ready to eat.  This is the second time I've done this make and the first cheese was delicious.  Looking forward to eating this one.  Here's a pic of the cheese with the wax just removed.  I'll post an update when I cut it.  You should be able to see the permeation of the smoke. :D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 08:29:22 PM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Kern

Re: Creating a Cold Smoked Cheese
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 09:09:10 PM »
A fine looking cheese, Al.  I shall be awaiting taste reports!  The car is gassed up and ready to make the run to Port Orchard from Enumclaw if the reports are good enough.  LOL  ;)

Kern

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 09:09:48 PM »
LOL  Thanks Kern, You're always welcome. :D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 09:21:31 PM by Al Lewis »

MarshmallowBlue

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 01:40:37 PM »
Wow, looks awesome! AC4U. I got a charcoal smoker for a birthday present, and a cheese press for xmas. You do the math! There is some awesome smoked cheese by "Harmons" in NH. they have some of the best cheddar I've had. They age it 2 years and 5 years, and smoke some as well. Anyways. Your cheese looks awesome.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 07:39:22 PM »
Thanks!  I created this one so I wouldn't have to wait forever for it to age.  It actually tastes very good after 3 months. :P

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 07:35:03 PM »
Cut it in half today and wrapped segments, and remaining half, in cling film.  Tasted great!  Nice and smokey without being bitter.  Hard to see in the picture but the smoke has permeated though the cheese giving it a slightly brownish yellow tint.  Still creamy texture but slices nicely.  I may dry the next one a bit longer. It's my creation so it's really still a work in progress but I'm liking it so far.  Been getting the friends to try it for general opinions. :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 06:32:18 PM by Al Lewis »