Author Topic: Is my milk good? First cheese attempt with pics.  (Read 2604 times)

Scuba_Steve

Is my milk good? First cheese attempt with pics.
« on: January 04, 2016, 05:16:54 AM »
So I do not have all my new cheese making gear yet.  Anxiously waiting for it in the mail.  I decided to make an easy cheese that wouldn't waste any of my cultures to get the basic hang of this.  I also wanted to use this as an attempt to figure out if the cheap milk from the grocery store was good, or if I needed to buy much more expensive stuff at the local farmstand.

I am not sure if this type of cheese will properly ID this though.  The cheese is a Queso Blanco.  The recipe is HERE.

This cheese uses no cultures and no rennet.  Also there was no curd mass formation that needed cutting.  Just loose curds stirred up in the pot.

Curds and Whey

Curds Draining

Added some fresh Aji Limon peppers.

Finished Cheese.  I was surprised because it weighed 1lb 8oz and only used 1 gallon of milk.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 07:41:19 AM by Scuba_Steve »

qdog1955

Re: Is my milk good? First cheese attempt with pics.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 11:59:34 AM »
  Nice job----I am a big advocate for the fresh Latin cheeses for beginners-----try the Queso Fresco recipe on their site----you'll like that even more-----being able to add ingredients such as hot peppers and ready to eat in a day---who could ask for more. Remember it won't keep long----the experience you gain will help with the more difficult cheeses down the road.
Qdog

Stinky

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 03:09:10 PM »
Your milk seems fine.

MarshmallowBlue

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 08:48:15 PM »
I'll "whey" (couldn't resist) in on this by saying the fresh cheeses that are lightly or not pressed will weigh more.

Stinky

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 10:47:36 PM »
I'll "whey" (couldn't resist) in on this by saying the fresh cheeses that are lightly or not pressed will weigh more.

Than those that are pressed heavier.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 11:17:39 PM »
In other words, the yield of the drier, harder cheeses is a bit depressed, but the yield of the fresh, moist cheese is impressive.

:)
-- Andy

Stinky

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 02:43:31 AM »
In other words, the yield of the drier, harder cheeses is a bit depressed, but the yield of the fresh, moist cheese is impressive.

:)

You have a lovely way of using words to express feelings, my friend.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 02:50:01 PM »
I'm so glad someone appreciates me. My wife just rolls her eyes and sighs ... :)
-- Andy