Author Topic: Wedding in 9 weeks - cheese ideas please?  (Read 1383 times)

hilltop1400

Wedding in 9 weeks - cheese ideas please?
« on: January 10, 2016, 07:05:21 AM »
My daughter made a surprise announcement - getting married in 9 weeks.  I will have a stirred cheddar and Cantal ready but no blue or other interesting cheese to add to the cheese board.  Any ideas apart from camembert/brie?  I am still rather new at cheesemaking but happy to try anything!  I just need some ideas from those familiar with cheese types and affinage.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Wedding in 9 weeks - cheese ideas please?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 03:10:20 PM »
If you start today you could probably do a reasonable blue in that time.  Also Epoisse?
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Stinky

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 04:10:38 PM »
Caerphilly, Lancashire, Butterkäse, Asiago

hilltop1400

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 11:42:39 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I have located recipes for all but the Epoisse. Will do a forum search for the Epoisse and a 2 month blue.  Cheers.

Kern

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 02:13:16 AM »
hilltop1400:  Al Lewis is modest.  Take a look at the huge blue he made about a week ago http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,15147.msg116109.html#new.  Since your wedding guests will not likely be French you could probably get away with this as one of your cheeses.  Besides, knowing Al it is likely to be a very good cheese indeed!   ;)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 03:02:34 PM »
Along with the other suggestions, consider making one Lancashire "plain," and one rubbed with olive oil and smoked paprika. Also, what about a fresh cheese or two? Maybe a cream cheese?
-- Andy

Kern

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 11:11:54 PM »
ht1400, 

Good idea, Al's Monster Blue.  Al has come up with a great experiment and I am all enthusiastic about it.  If you've got a pH meter (I don't think Al uses one) be sure to take some pH readings at the usual critical points:  initial milk, right before adding rennet, whey right after cutting curd and at draining, curd before hanging and before salting.  Pictures are great.  It's how one earns cheeses (Thumbs Up).  I'd throw a Monster Blue together myself but I am on a schedule with an 8 pound Tomme that I'm trying grow mold on, a seven pound Maasdam (Leerdammer) due to hit the warm room Friday and a Tilsit due to start the washes also on Friday.  To top it off my lovely wife is agitating for some more Cams that I'll likely make this weekend - my Monster Blue is going to have to wait a couple of weeks.   :(

CdnMorganGal

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 06:30:06 PM »
Why not use a basic hard cheese recipe and add garlic powder to one batch and boiled hot pepper seeds to another? The seeds make the cheese very pretty.