Author Topic: Hello from North Carolina  (Read 742 times)

Offline nccheesemike

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 35
  • Default personal text
Hello from North Carolina
« on: January 16, 2016, 07:16:43 PM »
Hello fellow Cheeselovers!

Mike here. I am new to cheesemaking and new to this forum. I have been a homebrewer (beer) for the past 17 years. I am educated and currently a microbiologist in my career. This past Dec my interest in cheese hit me to try and make it myself. I bought and have been reading and following the recipes in Home Cheesemaking by Rikki Carrol to build my understanding of this craft. I bought my cheesemaking ingredients from the New England Cheesemaking Company.  I only have access to store bought whole milk thus far but it has worked great in my first two cheesemaking attempts.

I have made two cheeses thus far: First cheese was a Colby on 1/11/16 and a Gouda on 1/15/16. Today I waxed my Colby for aging and am currently brining my Gouda after pressing overnight.  I am no cheese expert but am so excited to try my hand at making different cheeses. I am happy to find this forum and learn from the posts that are up so far. I look forward to making friends with you all and learning so much more about cheese and cheesemaking. I hope you all have a great day and weekend!!

Mike

Kern

Re: Hello from North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 07:36:21 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, Mike.

I'm located in Washington State not far from Seattle.  There are several of us from this area:  Boofer, Al Lewis, Soseattle, etc.  Since you are a microbiologist (I have a degree in Chemical Engineering) you might want to get a copy of Caldwell's Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking.  Find it on Amazon.  It goes into the science and technology of cheese making and brings in the importance of controls like pH meters.  There is a lot of information there on cultures, yeasts, bacteria and the like that you'll "eat up" like most do on the Sunday morning sports page.   ;)

Rikki Carrol has made great contributions to our craft but pitches her appeal mostly to people somewhat less serious than those who hang around here.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 08:36:03 PM »
Welcome Mike! 
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 12:06:23 AM »
Welcome, Mike, from a little ways south of you.
-- Andy