Author Topic: First time using raw cows milk - Leicester  (Read 959 times)

ksk2175

First time using raw cows milk - Leicester
« on: January 18, 2016, 02:23:08 AM »
Another weekend of firsts ... First Leicester and first time using raw cows milk. I mixed a gallon of fresh raw with a gallon of pasteurized whole milk. I added some CC but only the amount for the one gallon. I also reduced the culture to about 3/4 amount but didn't reduce the rennet.  I wonder if this needed to be reduced also because the curd was very thick and dense.  At least more so than other times. The curds didn't seem to shrink as much as other times through the cook and I ended up with a lot of curds. Is this just normal for raw cows milk or was it a product of not  reducing the rennet in light of the raw milk?  I am air drying the cheese now and have rubbed a bit of salt on the surface to help drying per the recipe. I have pressed it with about 50 lbs over the past 24 hrs and although the curds have knitted together nicely, the wheel is a bit rubbery/flexible and not as solid as I thought it would be. Is this a problem or sometimes normal?  Thanks.

Kern

Re: First time using raw cows milk - Leicester
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 04:49:33 AM »
Freshly pressed cheese often has a rubbery feel.  Brining usually takes care of this as does cooling.  I've not done combinations of raw and P&H milk so can't be of much help here.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 06:34:22 AM »
I have never made a non raw milk cheese so I have nothing compare it to. But I do know you get a firm stronger curd with raw so it could be that you are having less curd get washed away in the whey.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 05:18:16 PM »
I have mixed raw and store bought, mostly when the milk I bring home from the farm is not enough for a make. Usually the amount of curd is not much different for me with all raw, versus raw and purchased. I usually use calcium chloride for the total volume of milk because it is "cheap insurance" according to Gianaclis Caldwell.
I wondered if you are using the flocculation approach for cutting the curd, or if you are using time alone. You may find the rennet amount needs to change.
Susan

ksk2175

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 06:07:42 PM »
I mixed for that same reason.  I was using time alone in lieu of the floc test.  Maybe something I need to look into changing as I get more experience under my belt.  I am sure as I go along, I will start to pay attention to all the intricate details of my makes such as PH levels, etc.  For now, as I learn, I am just a recipe follower but I am getting hooked and getting my techniques down for controlling temp over time,etc.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 01:53:46 AM »
I made a cheese today from cream top purchased milk, and now I remember that the curd is softer! I was glad that I used flocculation, or else I would have misjudged the time to cut! Using that simple test did make a huge difference for me in making cheese when I was beginning.
Susan