Author Topic: My First Reblochon (yum, yum)  (Read 1705 times)

Kern

My First Reblochon (yum, yum)
« on: January 18, 2016, 05:55:08 AM »
Several days ago I posted a photo of a cheese board I had prepared for some dinner guests.  The center piece on the board was my first washed rind cheese, a Reblochon.  This topic is the story of the making of that Reblochon.  The recipe and make notes appear in the attached Excel file (both as .xls and .xlsx) as "Reblochon #1" so I won't list here the details, only some comments.

1.  I was inspired to make a Reblochon by many of Boofer's comments about this cheese along with the yummy looking picture of one in Caldwell's Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking and the easy to follow recipe in both her book and Amrein-Boyes 200 easy Homemade Cheese Recipies.  Although the cheese turned out to be quite tasty there are a lot of things about Reblochons I did not know when I made this cheese - more below on this.

2.  I used 2 gallons of vat pasteurized whole milk and a half-gallon of P&H milk for 2.5 gallons total because I calculated that this amount would create in my 8-inch polycarbonate mold a cheese 2 inches high for a "perfect" 4:1 diameter to height ratio.

3.  The make instructions, goal pH, ingredients, etc. came from a combination of the two sources listed above and are available in the attached Excel file(s).

4.  Once removed from the mold the cheese "squatted" over the next several days to end up being about 8 inches in diameter and 1.5 inches thick - hardly a 4:1 ratio.  My initial horror was to pitch the cheese (Why not?  It already looked like a discus.   :o).  But I decided to persevere and see what it would turn into.

5.  The photos below show the results of the rather beautiful colored rind and a wedge section of the paste.  The cheese had not fully ripened when I cut it as can be seen in the oozing portion of the wedge.  Nevertheless, the taste was delicious especially the more ripened portion.  I've re-wrapped the two halves and put them back into the cold fridge in the hopes the cheese ripens further.

Several weeks after making this I decided to do what I should have done before I made it:  Search the CheeseForum archives to see what I could find on Reblochon cheese making.  I did so and came up with lots of posts but probably the best was this one by Iratherfly:  Find it here.  Reblochon #2 in the attached Excel file is based upon this with a couple of additions and a change or two.

After studying Iratherfly's treatise on Reblochon cheesemaking I telephoned him.  He is Yoav, owner of Artisan Geek. A supplier to cheesemakers and long time participant of the CheeseForum.  I asked Yoav about what he would change or add to his comments of several years ago.  He said that he'd replace the B. Linens and Geo with PLA and add Sacco's SRC-1 and SE-2 as ripening and flavoring agents.  And, of course, use real Reblochon molds.  I have included all these suggestions in my next attempt, Reblochon #2.

I look forward with great anticipation to making this modified recipe.

Kern
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 05:14:37 PM by Kern »

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
Re: My First Reblochon (yum, yum)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 06:30:31 AM »
Very nice looking cheese and yes it will continue to ripen .  Maybe another 7 to 8 days at 55f and it should be good

Reblochon is my favorite cheese

AnnDee

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 01:34:00 AM »
This looks really good. I would imagine this is creamy, oozy and slightly salty, good with bread and onion jam. I am hungry now. This will be my next project.
A cheese for you, Kern.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 02:38:10 AM by AnnDee »

Kern

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 04:54:58 AM »
Thanks to the both of you for the cheeses.  I've put the Reb half in the cheese cave while the other half is still in the cold fridge.  A piece "sneaked" off the cave half is indeed ripening and the flavor has improved over the past several days.  It is good to see you on the Forum AnnDee.  I have been following your posts and can appreciate the challenges of making cheese in a hot climate.