Author Topic: Stilton A Grand Gala Event...An Opening  (Read 2597 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Stilton A Grand Gala Event...An Opening
« on: May 23, 2009, 04:45:00 AM »
I opened a few minutes ago a beautiful small (8 pounds) stilton. I did add Anatto to it for the heck of it. I was going to wait for June but thought it was good now. It wasn't as marbled as I would have hoped, but then again I pressed this one just a little for a few minutes to shape it. The rind was very hard as it should be and looked great. The inside wad definately more of a hard cheese than a creamy stilton but it tasted great. The smell was not great, not bad but if you make home made cheese they all smell a little weird. As I said, although a little dry looking the mouth feel was great and still creamy. The best part is the after taste was very pleasant almost better that the initial taste. I wrapped it in aluminum foil and put back in the cheese cave. Here are some pics.

Oh, P.S. I did pick some stilton up as Trader Joe's a month or so ago and haven't opened it. We'll be doing a taste test tomorrow.

Bella

Re: Stilton A Grand Gala Event...An Opening
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 11:30:39 AM »
Hi Carter
Your comments about this stilton could be a description of one I opened the other day (1.3 kg). Also a semi-hard cheese (and I was so looking forward to a creamy one!) with a hard rind and great taste. I was also disappointed with the marbling, but yours is much better. Also like the look of the rind on yours by comparison.

Of interest is the shape of the sides of mine – they have gone concave, and I guess that is because the wine frig I use as a cave is difficult to control for humidity, and the cheese has dried out – probably contributing to the hardness of the cheese as well. Hopefully I can sort this issue out and get a better result next time.
B

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 07:04:03 PM »
Yours still looks good though.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 11:00:16 PM »
It looks good Carter. The rind is awsome.

chilipepper

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 03:44:39 PM »
Awesome Carter.  Mine was a little dry as well yours looks really nice and I bet the flavor is awesome!  That is one impressive wheel of cheese!

Ryan

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 05:26:30 PM »
Thanks Ryan, how's the choppers.