Author Topic: chlorinated water  (Read 2226 times)

CdnMorganGal

chlorinated water
« on: January 18, 2016, 06:26:16 PM »
For 5 years I'm been making my cheeses with non-chlorinated water. As of Saturday, my water supply is chlorinated (there is also the possibility that it is over-chlorinated). Two questions - how will this affect my rennet when it's added to the water?  How will this affect my brines, especially for my feta? I know I can use the whey to make the brine, but I forgot to refrigerate my last batch of whey and I need to make brine today...  Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 06:49:30 PM by CdnMorganGal »

SOSEATTLE

Re: chlorinated water
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 02:14:27 AM »
It may or may not affect your cheese making depending on the amount of chlorine and your make method. If you let the water sit over night the chlorine will evaporate and should be fine.

Susan

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 05:29:54 AM »
If you add a bit of milk to your water I believe I have read that it will tie up the chlorine so that it will not impact the rennet.
Susan

Kern

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 05:43:13 AM »
I always boil the water I use to dilute the calcium chloride, rennet, and water used in washed curd cheeses the night before I make the cheese.  I go for a 5 minute roiling boil without the lid on the pot.  When it cools down a bit I add a splash of milk.  This assures me that no chlorine will be left in the water going into the cheese.  This may sound like a lot of precaution but I look at it as insurance protecting six gallons of raw milk that cost about $50.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 02:27:54 PM »
For water used to dilute rennet/annatto/etc., mix up calcium chloride, or wash curds, I start with filtered water (which theoretically already has all chlorine removed), then boil and cool as Kern does. I haven't added a splash of milk, since I started with filtered, but it is good insurance.

However, when I make fresh brine, I always start with distilled water. Cheap enough from the grocery store ...
-- Andy

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 05:09:47 PM »
when I make fresh brine, I always start with distilled water. Cheap enough from the grocery store ...

just buy a gallon of distilled water, easy enough.
I have used maybe a gallon a year (more if I am making a brine that year)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Kern

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 05:25:49 PM »
Much of the distilled water available in our area contains ozone, a bacterial disinfectant.  It can be removed by boiling in an open lidded pot and will dissipate on its own over time.  Given this unless your tap water source is hard and highly mineralized, I see no advantage to using ozone containing distilled water over chlorinated soft tap water.  The label will state if the water contains ozone. 

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 10:00:36 PM »
Interesting! I need to check the label ...
-- Andy