Author Topic: My first camembert on the way.  (Read 7542 times)

AnnDee

My first camembert on the way.
« on: January 20, 2016, 01:38:01 AM »
This is my first camembert. Today is day 6 and the fuzzy white mold starts to grow (since day 5). I made this one using mesophilic starter and PC only (that's what I think) I use premix culture from mad millie. I actually made 3 batches with 3 different recipes. The first batch I use triple creme recipe from new england cheesemaking website, the 2nd batch I use the recipe from wiki cheese, and the 3rd one I use malembert recipe.

The first batch (triple creme) only start to have white fuzzy mold on day 10 and at the same time as the 2nd batch, I put them in the same ripening container (maybe that cause the 2nd batch to have early white mold growth?)
I also think I over salted the first batch :(
The 3rd batch is 5 days old now and it is weepy and wet, I might have done something wrong here. No fuzzy whiteness yet.
The last picture is of the 3rd batch which are weepy and wet.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 01:19:55 PM by AnnDee »

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: My first camembert on the way.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 04:26:31 PM »
Ann, if I'm understanding right, you have one batch that is 10 days old, one that is 6 days, and one that is 5 days -- is that right?

In any case, your first picture is looking good. I'd move it to a cold refrigerator for a few weeks to age it out, either still in a ripening box or wrapped in the special cheese ripening paper.

For the last batch, weepy and wet may mean that it didn't drain well, for whatever reason. However, if there is any geo in the premix culture, it will cause a very slimy feel to the cheese from about day 2-3 until the PC is well established; maybe that is what you are experiencing -- hard to tell from the pictures.

Ultimately, of course, we will need a taste report when these are done!
-- Andy

AnnDee

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 06:24:47 AM »
Hi Andy, you are correct. The 2nd batch (1 week old) is thriving, the first batch is slower growth (maybe because it is triple creme or I was not making it right).
The 3rd batch stop weeping and significantly less wet today, almost dry. Lets see how they go in few more dayss.

Today my milkman will bring another 2 gallon (8 liters) raw jersey milk, I think I will make another batch with it (these earlier batches I made with PH milk). Do you think it is safe to make soft cheese with raw milk? (we are drinking it raw also most of the days).

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 03:37:30 PM »
In the US, for cheese that will be sold, the law requires that cheese made with raw milk must be aged a minimum of 60 days. For individuals making cheese for themselves (not for sale), of course, they can choose to do it however they want.

My own practice would be to do a low-temperature pasteurization of the milk if I were making a cheese that would be aged less than 60 days OR if I did not have a way to be sure about the quality of the milking conditions and the transport of the milk. Low-temperature pasteurization -- holding the milk at 140°F / 60°C will kill off any nasty bacteria that might be present while doing minimal damage to the milk.
-- Andy

AnnDee

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 03:51:11 PM »
I think I will just do that (low temp pasteurisation). 140F for how long? (Sorry, I pester you with these questions)

Kern

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 04:55:20 PM »
According to Caldwell (Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking) the temperature should be 145F for 30 minutes at that temperature.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 07:17:21 PM »
Oops, sorry -- meant to include the "30 minutes" part. I've read both 140 and 145°; the latter should give a bit of margin without doing any further harm.
-- Andy

AnnDee

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 12:45:45 PM »
Thanks Kern and Andy for the replies. I finally made another batch of camembert, this time with some geo (my shipment of cultures and moulds just arrived.

I used 2 gallon of raw jersey milk, pasteurised as per Kern's directions.
1/4 tsp chr hansen flora danica
1/16 penicillin candidum >> I was meant to only give 1/32 tsp but I made a mistake and gave 1/16 instead
1/64 geotrichum
1/4 tsp cacl
Rennet calf and vegetable (long story...sigh)

Heated up milk to 32C, add cultures, let it ripen 90 minutes. I was going to put 1/32 tsp of pc but when I was adding the cultures on the packet it said: 1/16 tsp for every 2 gallon of milk, without checking my notes I went ahead to add that much. Of course afterwards when I checked my notes I found out I made a mistake.
Add 4 ml calf rennet, 23 minutes nothing happen. Add another 4 ml, nothing happen.
I panicked and dilute a tiny veg rennet (less than 1/8 of a tablet). After 8 minutes it started to gel up.
Do you think this will cause problem?

« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 01:01:28 PM by AnnDee »

Kern

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 09:11:13 PM »
I use about 5ml (1 teaspoon) of single strength calf rennet per 2 gallons of milk for my Camemberts.  Floc time is about 12-15 minutes for a cut time of about 60-90 minutes.  A total of 8ml seems like a bit much.  Your rennet may be "going south".  Too much rennet can make the cheese a little bitter.  I'd get new rennet and be sure to keep it in a 4C cold fridge.

AnnDee

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 03:07:56 AM »
I think the calf rennet solution I made with Renco calf rennet powder might have gone 'south' as you said. When I mixed it, I actually not so sure to how much rennet, water, salt and citric acid, I was just 'winging' it with calculation.
Please enlighten me on this matter.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 03:47:51 AM »
not so sure to how much rennet, water, salt and citric acid, I was just 'winging' it with calculation.
??? salt and citric acid?

What calculation? Dissolve the dry calf rennet in cool, sterile, non-chlorinated water just before you add it to your ripened milk.

I keep my dry calf rennet vacuum-sealed and in the freezer between cheese makes. Going on five years now and it's still very viable.

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

AnnDee

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 04:11:30 AM »
I read on one of the thread that you can dilute powdered calf rennet with non chlorinated water, salt and some acid and it will keep in the fridge for some time. I am just not sure of how much composition.

I read from here:
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php?topic=11054.0
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 04:19:11 AM by AnnDee »

Kern

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 05:27:23 AM »
As mentioned earlier I use single strength liquid calves rennet.  The thread you pointed to had some comments by Boofer and linuxboy and they are two of the "heavy hitters" on the Forum.  Perhaps Boofer can review this thread and comment on the practice as I know nothing about it.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 03:16:17 PM »
Rennet seems to vary all over the map as far as strength. The type I am using (bought from ArtisanGeek) generally works fine with just 1/2 tsp for a < 4 gallon make. With cams, I double it to 1/2 tsp for a 2 gallon make. As others have said, 8 mil seems way much -- but then again, I've never made it up from dried; obviously, how strong you make it will make a difference.
-- Andy

AnnDee

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 01:49:41 AM »
I decided to just use powdered calf rennet and dilute it each time instead of make a large batch of rennet solution ahead of time to keep in the fridge. I hope this way it becomes more reliable and accurate.
Thanks all for the much needed guidance.

Ps. It was the first time I use cacl on jersey milk and I think the yield is much higher.