Author Topic: First Taleggio with a rind ooze issue  (Read 4152 times)

Stinky

Re: First Taleggio with a rind ooze issue
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 03:19:58 PM »
After a bit of thought on this one I believe my higher temperatures early in the make combined with it being made during summer over, here plus  with the incredible freshness of the raw milk. All of this has come together to push this cheese through it's maturation a couple of weeks ahead of what should have happened.

Okay, this may sound slightly harsh, but maybe next time follow the recipe?  ;)

That is, as far as I can tell it just aged quicker than you might want because you didn't wrap it and put it in cold storage as early as the recipe said. The low temperature slows the ripening and would also result in more even ripening, and you wouldn't have to worry about the rind cracking.

tarwin

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 10:16:27 PM »
 "Turning and washing is done every 2-3 days for 2 weeks and"then every 3-4 days for 3 more weeks. Cheeses are wrapped in breathable wrappers made for washed rind cheeses "

That is along the lines of what I did. The rind spitting started at about 10 days to 2 weeks in.

Stinky

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 11:13:41 PM »
When you say splitting, could this have been cracking due to low humidity or was there ooze coming out?

I must have misunderstood you, sorry. Even then, five weeks according to the recipe is thirty-five days, and you were still washing it regularly at 40 days?

JeffHamm

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2016, 07:13:31 AM »
I couldn't go past the picture of that slice without giving you a cheese!  That looks wonderful.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 01:26:00 PM »
Welcome back Jeff!!! ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

tarwin

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 11:57:19 PM »
Thanks Jeff.
This cheese despite not being perfect in appearance has had a rapturous reception from everyone I have given it to. Nobody has faulted the flavors. I attended a Natural Cheese making workshop with David Asher a week or so ago in Melbourne. David thought initially I may have not used enough salt which caused the rind issues. On tasting it however thought it was excellent and wouldn't have changed anything. I took it to this workshop as it was an example of a mainly naturally produced cheese with only LR linens used in the wash and nothing else.
I am currently making 2 more of these this time with no culture interventions lower temperatures from the beginning but with about a half dose of calcium chloride in deference to the dry autumn (fall) and lateness of the Jersey's cycle.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 12:03:04 AM by tarwin »