Author Topic: Belper Knolle: aged for 2 months  (Read 13843 times)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Belper Knolle: aged for 2 months
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2016, 08:23:23 PM »
Just ordered 5 pounds of Himalayan pink salt and some chevre packets to try this one. ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Kern

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2016, 12:54:03 AM »
Thanks, Kern, very helpful. Any thoughts about the Himalayan pink salt vs. regular cheese salt? I read a few articles on line about the former, but most of them sounded, at least to my non-chemist/biologist ears, a bit too much like a late-night TV commercial. :(
The folks in Belp use the pink salt.  Does it make a difference?  Who knows.  I've used pink salt in a grinder for years and I've never noticed a difference.

AnnDee

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2016, 11:18:50 AM »
I think the taste of the pink salt is slightly different to kosher salt. I notice it when I sprinkle on eggs, I can't really describe it but as kosher salt taste is plain, himalayan pink salt has more notes to it.

olikli

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2016, 06:20:27 PM »
All natural salts taste slightly different beause of their different mineral composition. I don't thnk there is a natural salt that is 100% NaCl. But any mystical properties attributed to the Himalayan salt have no scientific backing.

I would guess the difference in taste of the final product is largely outweighed by the differences in process. As long as we have to guess how exactly the original Belper Knolle is made it does not make much sense to me to stick to Himalayan salt. And even if we knew. I for one don't want to produce 100% clones. I want to make my own personal cheeses.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2016, 09:47:38 PM »
I for one don't want to produce 100% clones. I want to make my own personal cheeses.
My feelings exactly  8)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2016, 01:36:29 AM »
I for one don't want to produce 100% clones. I want to make my own personal cheeses.
My feelings exactly  8)

Me too  :)

Susan

Kern

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2016, 03:23:38 AM »
No argument from me either.  You can learn a lot about how certain things are made by trying to clone them.  For example, I really didn't know what essential element had to be part of a lactic cheese in order for it to be a lactic cheese.  Caldwell is a bit foggy on this.  Besides that, if you are making your own "personal cheese" how will you know that it is your own and not simply a clone if you don't know how the cheese you are trying to emulate is made?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2016, 04:37:39 PM »
Well I ordered 5 pounds of the stuff!  LOL  You can actually buy small bottles in Trader Joes and Costco I'm told.  The color of different salts is dependent upon the trace minerals left in the salt during processing.  Hawaiian salt exhibits the same properties.  The official stance is.."Himalayan salt is predominantly sodium chloride (95-98%), contaminated with 2–3% polyhalite and small amounts of ten other minerals. The pink color is due to the presence of iron oxide."  We have a lamp made of the stuff.  A really big hollowed out lump with a light bulb in it.  According to the nurse that gave it to us it's supposed to have beneficial properties.  All I know is it's not very bright.  The reason I bought it to make the cheese is that, if I never make, or taste, the real stuff, how do I know how my clone compares?  I've eaten plenty of Stilton, Stitchleton, Brie, Camembert, Regianno Parmesan, and others too varied to mention, in their countries of origin, but I've never eaten this cheese.  Failing buying the cheese from Switzerland my best bet is to create what the experts say is the cheese, or as close as they can get.  Therefore, as with the Epoisse, Tallegio, and Vacherin Mont D'Or I made, or attempted, I have ordered the exact ingredients called for to try and get the exact result.  If, after that, I want to do my own knockoff I can knowing the subtleties in the taste differences.  Besides, Himalayan Pink Salt is darn near the same price as Kosher Salt and almost as easy to get.  One suggestion, it comes in three grinds.  Extra fine, Fine, and coarse.  The coarse, in this case, is too big and for grinders.  The extra fine would be akin to table salt so I ordered the "Fine".  It should be approximate to coarse kosher salt, or at least I hope it is.  A very important factor when measuring for recipes.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2016, 05:03:37 PM »
I must be physic. No sooner did I finish that last post than the USPS knocks on the door and delivers my salt.  The grains are smaller than coarse kosher salt.  The biggest difference I see is that the pink salt doesn't seem as uniform in the grind.  Usually these types of things are passed through a screen to size them.  It could also be a result of shipping and the grains rubbing together.  Taste, to my untrained taste buds, seems to be the same with the possible exception of the pink salt leaning a touch towards iodized but without the strong iodine taste.  May just be a case of the "Emperors Clothes."
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 05:21:38 PM by Al Lewis »

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2016, 05:10:07 PM »
We are heading up to Vancouver soon
I'll stop at trader Joe's and buy some just to check it out.
Then I'll just have to try it in a cheese

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2016, 05:24:59 PM »
We are heading up to Vancouver soon
I'll stop at trader Joe's and buy some just to check it out.
Then I'll just have to try it in a cheese

Hell, swing by and I'll give ya a pound!! LOL  Do it on a long weekend and we can sprinkle some over some cowboy ribeyes!

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2016, 09:14:03 PM »
Yesiree!!! Buddy! :P

Kern

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2016, 11:20:08 PM »
Hell, swing by and I'll give ya a pound!! LOL  Do it on a long weekend and we can sprinkle some over some cowboy ribeyes!

Al, I noticed three steaks on the grill.  One for you, one for H-K-J and I suppose one for me.  What time and date? I'll bring my own pink salt! 

Kern

PS:  I like mine very rare.   ;)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2016, 12:41:04 AM »
That'll be up to H-K-J!!  LOL

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2016, 03:16:04 PM »
There's room on that grill for another steak, right? :)

I very much agree on both points with regard to cloning -- on the one hand, I do try to emulate the original as best I can first, before venturing out into my own variations. On the other hand ... I am quite confident that even my closest efforts are still quite unique to me. :)

I will say that one area where I have NOT been eager to achieve "the original" is with camemberts -- thus far, every commercial cam I've tasted, including one in France, fell short of my "Malembert" makes in both taste and texture. Of course, it doesn't help that I haven't really splurged on an expensive version of a commercial cam, so I'm guessing I still don't know what it is "supposed" to taste like ...
-- Andy