Author Topic: Canadian \ peameal bacon make  (Read 4846 times)

john H

Canadian \ peameal bacon make
« on: January 26, 2016, 08:36:45 PM »
I decided to start some peameal bacon tonight. This is a first for me and thought I would combine a few recipes for what I think may /  hope to taste good and this is what I ended up doing.

1 gallon water

74G Ready Cure

122G salt

1 TBS pickling spice 

1 TSP juniper berries

1 TBS pepper corns

1 TSP mustard seed

1 TSP whole cloves

1 TSP allspice

1 cup maple syrup

5 LBS pork loin

Cure for 10 days.

There are 2 X 2.5LB pieces so at this point I am inclined to coat one in cornmeal and smoke the second with either apple or maple wood.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 05:52:09 AM by john H »

reg

Re: Canadian \ peameal bacon make
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 03:35:39 PM »
Hi John, glad to see others curing their own meats, good stuff ! Question, how did you calculate your salt amounts ?

Reg

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 03:46:14 PM »
Looking great John.  I just did a side of hickory smoked dry cured bacon.  Taste is intense.  Glad to see other enjoying this.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

john H

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 02:02:50 AM »
Hi John, glad to see others curing their own meats, good stuff ! Question, how did you calculate your salt amounts ?

Reg

I screwed up on calculation I did the calcs for dried cured and it should be for brine. So should be 160G of readycure.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 03:51:10 AM by john H »

john H

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 03:56:56 AM »
Looking great John.  I just did a side of hickory smoked dry cured bacon.  Taste is intense.  Glad to see other enjoying this.

Thanks Al it is a lot of fun and a lot to learn. I did a bacon a couple of years ago it was just ok. I will probably revisit that one someday

reg

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 01:20:01 PM »
Glad you caught that John. I have never tried Ready Cure so I'm not familiar with the amounts to use but I knew the total percentage ( generally 3% of the total weight including the liquid) of salt was off.

We did about 10lbs of back bacon earlier this year so we are good for a while now

Reg

john H

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 01:59:33 PM »
Glad you caught that John. I have never tried Ready Cure so I'm not familiar with the amounts to use but I knew the total percentage ( generally 3% of the total weight including the liquid) of salt was off.

We did about 10lbs of back bacon earlier this year so we are good for a while now

Reg
Thanks for asking Reg. What cure do you usually use? I use readycure because it is readily available in this area.
John

john H

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 02:12:47 PM »
I have revised my recipe to reflect the proper cure and salt. I have added to my batch and will leave it to cure a couple of days longer.

Thanks again Reg.

John

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 05:38:45 PM »
I've been using this for bacon as I can get it at the local store.  The amounts/times on the package are a bit off but it will make a good product if used correctly.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

john H

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 02:34:28 PM »
For anyone interested here is the math behind the calculation from a friend on another board.

At 1% nitrite and 120 Ppm ingoing nitrite for brined bacon, (USDA recommended for commercial applications)

5# x 454 = 2,270 grams meat... 

~8.5#'s water x 454 = 3,859 grams water...

3859 + 2270 =  6,129 grams total stuff...

6,129 x 0.000120 = 0.74 grams of nitrite needed for a 120 Ppm ingoing rate...

0.74 grams at 1%...  .74 /  0.01 = 74 grams of Ready Cure needed..

74 grams x 0.99 (% salt) = (73 grams salt / 6,129) x 100 (%) = 1.2% ingoing salt...

14 days or longer would be about right in the brine under refrigeration...  It will not be too salty or over cured...

Not having used ready cure, I just had to run the numbers......

reg

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 03:14:26 PM »
Morning John. I used a product called Instacure #1 (nitrite only) for all my semi cured products (cooked) like bacon, hams, back bacon and cooked sausages. On the dry cured products I use Instacure #2 (combination of nitrate and nitrite) cappocolo, culatelo, lonzo and all dry cured sausages

The formula that I have used for more years than I want to think about goes like this

total weight of the protein
total weight of the liquid (enough that covers the protein by at least 1"
add these two together to end up with  total weight which can be broken down into lb, ozs or grams
salt content @3% of the total weight including your cure which will be a level teas/5lbs (I add the cure to the bowl before weighing out the salt portion)
Sugar at 2% of the total weight. Can be the sweetner of your choice except when making dry cured sausages
The flavourings are your personal choice

Using this system it is all but impossible to make a mistake

Hope that helps a bit John.

Reg

PS Nitrate and Nitrite are bonded onto salt but I'm not sure all cure manufacturers use the same amounts. Instacure # 1 contains 6.25% nitrite bonded on 93.75% salt. Not sure what Ready Cure contains.

reg

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 03:30:05 PM »
Just a note John, I looked again at the salt content given by your friend at .99%. That would be the amount I would use when making fresh sausages but when making cured products Im not to sure I would be going with that small amount. The salt portion in your mix does a few basic things, it flavours, it also firms up the protein to a much more solid piece and it is the vehicle that will help transport your flavours to the interior cells of the meat. Salt is extremely important when used in curing all proteins.

Reg

john H

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 07:16:57 PM »
Hi Reg, Readycure is 1% nitrite and 99% salt. This is for brining and the manufacturer is not clear on that it only has injection rates. As far as dry cure they recommend 2% readycure so 2KG per 100KG. After rereading his calculations I'm thinking he is saying 74g readycure for 120ppm and 74g for a total of 2 % salt.

John

reg

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 02:33:13 PM »
John, just wondering if you have tried the peameal yet ?

john H

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 12:48:58 AM »
Hi Reg yes I did thanks for asking. I think some of the flavours were off though (out of balance)  because of the screwing around I ended up doing it was cured. I ate some waited 2 days then let the family finish it over the next couple of days. Everyone liked it with some requesting spice variations. Now that I have the recipe straightened out I will make another batch and see what it turns out like.

John